𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟸 - Wedding night

The wedding seemed to have happened expeditiously. Time flew by as we ate, danced, and laughed. And ate. Adanan fed me spoonfuls of rice and tender pieces of meat. We then had dessert. After just a short while, I felt bloated. 

Our ceremony started at 9 pm and by now,  people were tired and full. I watched as people started to leave. My feet were sore from dancing. My belly hurt from laughing. I felt tired and overjoyed at the same time. I wiped the sweat from my brow bone and tapped my fingers against my phone screen, 2:06 am. 

"Asma" Adanan brushes my arm. "We are leaving soon". 

"Oh" I say. "Should I help with anything?" 

"No. Everything is packed and ready. The women are waiting for you to do the goodbyes". 

I gulp. "So soon? I mean, I -" 

"Unless you want more dessert?" Adanan jokes. 

"No. I am incredibly full. I might have gained 3kgs just tonight".

Adanan laughs. I get up from my seat, put my phone in Adanan's pocket and straighten my gown. 

"Am I clean?" I ask Adanan while scanning my dress. 

"Perfect," Adanan says. "And me?" He asks. 

"Okay-ish" I joke. 

"Well at least you didn't say bad"

We laugh. 

"Asma, come now," Adanan's mother, Rahma appears panting before us. "What's taking you so long? We're waiting". 

I look at Adanan who stares at his mother with a smirk. "We're almost there, mama. Please be calm". 

"Get down the stage and greet the guests, we can't be here forever" Rahma continues. "The people need to leave. We have only hired this venue for a set time". 

I look at Rahma with a blank expression. 

I take Adanan's hand and we walk down the steps of the stage. Rahma follows closely behind. I can hear her panting as she follows us. 

Adanan turns around to look at his mother. I didn't even want to turn around. 

"I love you" I hear Rahma whisper to Adanan. I look at Adanan and see him smile. 

We walk to a group of women who stand waiting for us. They chant as we approach. I smile even though I am tired. This was now the final part of the ceremony, greeting the guests and calling it a night. 

Adanan squeezed my hand. "You okay?" He whispers. 

Before I could answer, Rahma brushes between us and takes my hand. "Yallah, come, greet. Mingle. They want to see you off.."

I am taken aback by this sudden burst of energy but sheepishly comply. I get closer to the women and they take my arms up into the air. They are now waving my arms into the air as I stand planted on the floor. I look over to see Adanan smiling next to his mother. I smile. The women chant and dance around me. They sing familiar Arabic folksongs and ululate. They make a circle around me and dance. My feet hurt,  but I do my best to sing along with them. We dance for a short while, and then the women form a line for me to exit. 

Adanan's mother grips his arm and walks him over to me. The big doors of the hall entrance are open and I can see the cars parked, waiting for us. I was not hot and sweaty.

Adanan lets go of his mother's arm and takes my hand. We interlock our fingers as we walk toward the exit of the hall. I glance over to Adanan who has a sheepish grin on his face. I wonder what he was thinking.