𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟷𝟺- 𝙳𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚒𝚝

"Why are you ignoring me?" Layla asks following quickly behind me.

I open my car door.

"I need time to clear my head" I say.

"So now I'm bugging you? " She says theatrically.

I remain silent.

"What did I even do? I came here for support. Why is everyone so against the idea of us?"

"Us?" I say turning around to face her.

"There is no us Layla" I raise my voice. "There has never been an us. There was you and there was me"

"Are you going to deny everything?" She pauses.

"What is there to confirm?" I ask.

She shrugs. "I don't know. I just feel different around you. You have always been my number one supporter. I need you Adanan. You're my best friend"

"Just stay away from me. I don't want to continue meeting with you. Please just leave me alone, for everyone's sake" I say getting into my car.

"That's it huh?" She raises her arms in the air. "You're just going to cut me off like you did in Lebanon?"

"Layla, forget Lebanon. We have grown up since then. The past is the past. You need to move on"

She comes closer to the car door.

"What do you want from me, Adanan? Am I not good enough for you?" She purses her lips together.

"I have to go" I say closing the car door.

I try not to look at Layla from the car window and start my ignition instead. I drive off and from my rear-view mirror I can see her standing up against her car. I knew how hurt she must be feeling. I shake the thought of her from my mind and drive away from the hospital.

I felt terrible after the encounter with Asma. Feelings of shame consumed my mind as I focused on the road in front of me. I was losing my wit. I wanted to be the best husband for Asma, but my friendship with Layla conflicted with my marriage. I loved both of them. Asma is my wife and soul mate, but Layla was my first love and a good friend.

I turned the radio on and headed towards a friend's house. I needed advice, reassurance, anything. I desperately wanted to feel okay. Fortunately, my close friend lived just fifteen minutes away. I have not visited him since my engagement with Asma.

I hoped that he was home as I pulled up to his driveway and got out of my car. I dusted my pants and walked towards the front door. It's been forever since I was here. There are fond memories at his house. I smiled to myself.

Before I could knock, the door swung open.

"Hey" Nabil jumped from behind the door.

I took a step back in shock.

He raced to hug me and lifted me from the air.

"How have you been, Adanan?" he asks. "I saw you from the window. Man, its been ages. Come inside" He says.

I begin to laugh. I've missed Nabil so much.

I follow him inside and we take a seat on the all-too-fimilar sofa.

"I'm well man, I've missed you too" I say scooting on the sofa opposite him.

"How is married life?" He asks looking at me with amusement.

I hesitate for a moment. "It's going well" I say.

"Where is Asma?" Nabil asks.

"It's actually a long story.." I begin.