𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝟷𝟸 - 𝙱𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

"Can you just try to understand where I am coming from?" I say to my father who is now ferociously throwing kitchen utensils at me.

"You have shamed us" he throws a spoon at me. "You are married for no longer than a month and this is what you do?" he raises his voice. His eyes are sharp and aggressive.

I duck.

"Dad-"

"Don't stand there and make excuses. You are a coward for leaving your wife in the first place. I was there that night. I saw as you and Layla sat and talked. She told you twice that she wanted to leave. You had a trip scheduled. And you did what?"

He looks at me waiting for a response.

"I--" I stutter.

"You stayed. You entertained that Layla - who I have warned you about many times.." He sighs. " You have a nerve standing there looking at me. Say something!"

"Mom called me over for Layla. I would be in Oman if it weren't for mom calling me over to see Layla"

"Passing the bucket" my father snorts. "Take accountability! You stayed. You decided to stay. You did the wrong thing and now you want to blame your mother, and me, then Layla, then Asma, then the government- who else? " My father raises his eyebrow. "Tell me.. who else can you pass the bucket to? "

"How can you talk to our son like that?" my mother comes running downstairs. She puts her phone on the table and walks up to my father.

"You are pretending like Adanan is the only one in this marriage.." she begins.

"Rahma, stay out of this. For your own sake. We are having a father and son discussion. And you're going to take things the wrong way"

"The wrong way?" my mother retaliates. "So now I am not his mother?"

"That was not what I said"

I scratch my head looking at my parents.

"Adanan is a grown person. Let him live his life. We all make mistakes" my mother defends.

"This was not a mistake!" my father yells. "This was pure stupidity. I have not raised you to act like an imbecile. You are a grown man!"

"So now you want to control Adanan's life too? Like you did to your sons -"

"Do not go there, woman" my father quickly defends. "This is not about them. They made their decisions and decided to leave. Adanan is here with us and I will not allow him to throw his life away"

" Can't you see our son needs our support? He needs us to be there for him..-"

"And his wife? And her family?" my father questions. "We have not raised you to be irresponsible. I will not hesitate to call out your wrongs. I am not going to hide your faults simply because I am your father. Wrong remains wrong and if you don't like the truth, you can leave"

I gulp.

"Ahmad.. you are being harsh" my mother intervenes. "We need to have some compassion"

"Asma is on an oxygen machine, for God's sake. This is not a game. Do not take our son's side, Rahma" my father retorts.

"If you do not fix things, I swear by Allah I will ensure that you never set foot in this house again" my father yells.

"How dare you say that?" my mother comes to my defence.

"Why don't you reason with your mother? Why are you quiet?" My father looks at me.

"Dad, I'm sorry" I hesitate. "I really did not mean for anything to happen to Asma. I love her and - "