41 - Waiting Game

I have never been more anxious in my life as I am in this moment.

The lab is rid of any sound as I poke the last IV into Harry's skin, watching him hold back a wince. I'm afraid to say anything at this point; I just have to get this done.

I check the bag of antidote, staring at what will define Harry in the next hours. But his coma is more prolonged and cautious than any other; it may take days for him to recover.

I'm about to activate the anesthesia so he can fall asleep but a tight grip on my wrist stops me. It's not Harry's wrist though.

It's Tara's.

She looks up at me with fearful eyes. "Can I say bye to Batman?"

I nod, placing my hand over her small one. She then walks over to his side, leaning over the edge of the gurney he's laying on. I don't want to hear their conversation - my back is to them - but their voices reign me in regardless.

"Are you going to be okay?" Tara asks him.

"More than okay. After all of this, I'm going to be just like you," He replies.

I can already hear Tara's sniffles echoing through the vast room. "But what if you don't remember me?"

"Oh, Tara..." Harry begins, his voice crumbling down. "I could never forget you. You are my miracle. My angel. My sister. My Robin."

Tara bursts into a crying mess at the sound of his words and it takes every ounce of strength in me to hold back from enveloping her in my arms. I want to turn around, but this is a moment for them.

A moment for Harry to hold onto before this all goes underway.

"I love you, Tara. I am so proud of you. You are strong and so beautiful. I'm happy to have watched you grow up right in front of my eyes," Harry whispers. I think he places a kiss on her forehead.

In the midst of all her tears, Tara somehow laughs. "I love you too."

Harry joins her in laughter, the squeak of the gurney hinting that Tara has crawled up into his arms.

"I'm happy you're getting better. But you really don't need this. Wanna know why?" The young one says enthusiastically.

"Why?" He asks. I can just imagine his beaming smile.

"Because," She begins. "You've protected me my entire life. You don't need this antidote because you already are a Protector to me."

Gosh, the fluttering.

"Well, Robin... I think Serena wants me to sleep now," Harry laughs and I smile, turning around to face them. The sight of them holding each other makes my heart melt.

Tara looks to me then back to her brother in thought, thinking really hard about something.

"What's wrong, Tara?" I ask her.

She whispers something in Harry's ear, making his eyes widen and a smirk form on his lips.

"Yes, Tara... I do believe it's time Serena had a nickname."

I let out a small gasp of excitement. I feel favored, as if I am a part of a family now.

"I'm thinking... Catwoman," Tara grins, giggles escaping her mouth as she covers it with her hands.

"Catwoman..." Harry trails off, looking me up and down. "I like it."

I internally scream at the way his eyes scale my figure. He's probably imagining me in leather, red lipstick, and pearls in my hand as we speak.