Bonus Chapter: Oslo

2036, Five Years Later

Harry

"Golden, baby."

My gentle remark makes Serena whip around, her candid movements easily mistaken for model material by the locals.

The sun rests right above the towering buildings, signaling the beginning of the end of another day and the photo ops that come with it. My fingers hold the camera steady, ready to activate the shutter.

Serena grabs the edges of her sundress, twirling the skirt gently. "Golden hour basically lasts five hours here, Harry."

"Yes, but we have a plane to catch tonight," I remark, my need to be prepared brimming to the surface of my words. "The photos won't stop here, love."

Here is the Oslo Opera House, resting on the edge of the waters surrounding the city with an infamous rooftop locals and tourists can walk onto to watch the start and end of a day.

It's a calming view, since Oslo isn't so crazed; you can actually slow down and focus.

Serena and I have been here for five summer days. It's been enough time for me to decide to live here later in life. I'm sure a winter trip up north to Tromsø will convince my girl, too.

Northern lights and all.

She doesn't know our next destination, which is the last one we'll be flying out to. The trip took extensive planning and assistance from Malachi who has more connections than I do, which I'm thankful for.

With his extended leadership of the Coalition in England and surrounding countries, Malachi is a busy man who likes having me on point for duties.

I like it too; the Deviant Coalition back in 2031 made me feel like a captive, stuck in my symptom. Five years later, I'm involved in more than I ever thought possible, helping people who suffered like me through public relations and community outreach. Even boxing training.

I helped before but this time, it's different. A good different.

Serena walks over to my side, looking down at my camera then up at me. Her hair, now with dark brown roots cascading down to a lighter brown, blows wildly into her face and partially into mine thanks to the Norwegian winds.

"Can we stay for another twenty or so? Just to take it in?" She asks, already knowing what my answer is going to be.

"Let's find a spot to sit," I answer, looking out at the wide expanse of buildings, sunlight, and water all in sight. It's a marvel and I wish we didn't have to leave so soon.

Others' conversations are muffled and dulled out by the breeze, but Serena stays bold with her movements, wanting the best seat in- or on the house. Eventually we find a spot to rest our feet, and I begin to deconstruct my camera as she pulls out a journal and black pen from our shared bag.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see her christen a blank page with new words then stop to take in the sight above her. She repeats this for a few minutes: looking up at the world, then bringing her attention back down to the page.

She's been writing a lot on this trip, a new habit I've seen her pick up. I don't press her about it; whatever she's writing is personal. If she wants to, she'll share it.

Nevertheless, there are other productive routines she's been establishing since the fall of the Protector Core. I've taken notice of them.

Serena wants to better herself, to find her identity past the shadow of the Core. She has changed in a healthy, positive way. I love it all.