Chapter Nine

How is it possible to get your heart broken by someone you were never with?

It was a question that constantly harassed my thoughts these last few days. I was never Miguel’s girlfriend and he was never my boyfriend. Yes, he took me out on a date but that doesn’t mean we’re together. So why did I feel so heartbroken?

I let out a tired sigh as I lay on my back, taking a sudden interest in the living room ceiling. Surprisingly I had no homework tonight because I wasn’t in the talking mood today so I finished all the assigned work during class.

Logan was working a shift at the coffee shop until closing. Kale had football practice until later this evening. Evan had detention because he slept through his third period class. Sophia went off with Brad again.

Once I was in a comfortable position the doorbell rang. I let out a groan and got up to answer the damn door.

“What do you want?” I asked crankily.

 Austin gave me an amused look. “Someone’s cranky. And I’m here to cheer you up!”

“I don’t need cheering up. I need Oreo birthday cake ice cream and fries.” I whined.

“Well I got you food.” He took the brown paper bag he hid behind his back and showed it me.

My eyes widened a bit at his response. That was the last thing I expected to spill from his mouth. I stared at him in shock and amazement for a while. He had a neutral expression on his face, waiting for my answer.

“Uh Austin, are you okay?” I asked slowly.

He gave me a flat look. “I can’t be nice to my duet partner?”

“No you can. I just don’t expect you to.”

“Well today’s your lucky day. You can either question my motives or you can let me in so I will give you your food.”

I stepped aside from the doorway allowing him to enter the house. He took off his shoes and went straight into the living room. I followed after still a bit surprised at his small gesture. I took a seat beside him as he emptied the paper bag.

Two medium boxes of fries, a large box of chicken nuggets, a jar of Nutella, several bags of gummy bears, 4 pint sized Red Velvet ice cream and one big container of Oreo Birthday Cake ice cream. I gawked at him as he smiled at me.

“Here are some your favourite junk foods to cheer you up! Courtesy of me” he winked.

“But why?” I asked carefully. “Are you trying to get me fatter? So you can kill me when I’m too big to move?”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m trying to be nice here. Can’t you just accept it?”

“Alright.” I mumbled as I took a box of fries and started devouring it.

I shoved the other box of fries in front of Austin. He accepted it with no hesitation and we chowed down on the rest of the fatty, unhealthy, junk foods while watching Peter Pan. We took turns scooping Nutella onto a spoon and shoving it in our mouths. Yes it was so unhealthy but at the moment I didn’t really care.

We literally finished all the food except for the Oreo Birthday Cake ice cream. We were both slouched on the couch, our bellies filled with so much junk food. The movie was still playing but we were no longer watching it.

“Thanks for the food.” I smiled.

“No problem.” He replied.

“But why did you bring all this food?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. You just seemed really upset for these past two days and something inside me wanted to cheer you up.”

I smiled a bit at his response but said “It is not a big deal. We all go through something upsetting once in a while. It’s life.”