iv. welcome to the carmichael house

CHAPTER FOUR.

[ iv. welcome to the carmichael house ]

INGRID, SCOUT, HARRIET, Liam, and Devyn all agreed to go in first (besides Scout and Liam) to check out the area. "Go hide our bikes around the back of the house," Ingrid instructed as she kept glancing at the small hole in the fence. "Me and the four chosen will see if everything is okay."

"What if we get caught?" Layla questioned as she continued to tremble with fear. She looked around at the few trick-or-treaters. No one dared to trick-or-treat down this road, let alone be on this road on a normal basis.

"The police are out passing out candy. Nobody cares what happens on this night," Ingrid informed with a chuckle.

"Do I have to go in first because . . ." Scout trailed off, nervously scratching the back of his neck.

"We could pull straws just like the 'olden days'," Delancy suggested as she kicked her kickstand up, looking at them all. Ingrid shrugged, guessing it would do the job.

"I mean, we don't have to," Liam anxiously chuckled, feeling his stomach turn with fear. In the corner of his eye, he saw Briar pick some straws of hay that were left here from the annual Fall Parade not too long ago. He picked up nine different size pieces of hay and held them in his hands.

"The five who pull the shortest straws go in first," Briar explained quickly, clutching onto the straws tightly in his hands. He silently prayed that he wouldn't pull a short straw, but he was gonna go inside that house even if he didn't pull the short straw. He walked around the group, going to each individual person as they all pulled a straw.

Briar took the last and final straw out of his hand, seeing the people who were going were Ingrid, Liam, Harriet, Devyn, and Scout once again. "This is bullshit! I demand a recall!" Scout exclaimed with shock. "I don't want to be the first one to die. Somewhere in the future, I have a beautiful man or woman waiting on me."

"You were going to go in anyway even if you didn't pull a short straw," Harriet stated as she gripped tighter onto her backpack straps. Liam stared at the straw and swallowed the lump in his throat, watching his hands start to shake nervously.

"But-" Before Scout could finish his complaining, Ingrid grabbed ahold of his arm and pulled him to the small hole the fence had. "Ow be gentle!" He whined, which resulted in her letting go. Without hesitation, Devyn got down on her hands and knees and pushed her bag through the hole. The Earth was dug up at the bottom of the fencing, creating a hole large enough for someone to slip through.