xi. in between two worlds

CHAPTER ELEVEN.

[ xi. in between two worlds ]

MAURA AND DELANCY chose to be still and silent once they were surrounded by complete darkness. Maura couldn't believe she was at a great possibility of dying. She wanted to be home painting and drawing like she would do best. Working an part-time job to help support her single mother and her siblings. She wouldn't know what would happen if she died, how her mother and siblings would survive.

     Delancy tilted her head down with closed eyes. She pictured herself talking with Delilah about life and what it meant. The maid was a better parent than her actual parents, who probably haven't realized she was gone. She wished she was in her bed, wished she was out with her so called "friends". Wished this all never happened.

      Maura looked at Delancy through the darkness, seeing her staring at the ground. She wanted to say something to her, but was too afraid to. Delancy felt someone staring at her, so she opened her eyes and looked up. She looked over at Maura, who was staring at her with wide eyes. Tears were forming in the girl's eyes, becoming glossy. "I'm sorry," Delancy mouthed silently.

     "Me too," Maura also mouthed, sniffling softly. The dirty blonde turned around, her back to the door.

     "There's no reason to be quiet," Delancy whispered truthfully. Maura cringed at the noise cutting through the darkness. "Whatever is in here knows we're here, anyway." The brunette knew the girl was right, but didn't want to believe it. She squinted at the words on the door, fearing the worst.

     "What do you think this means?" Maura gulped, which resulted in Delancy turning back around.

     "I don't wanna know," the dirty blonde breathed out. Her heart was pounding, anticipating something drastic happening. "We have to scream to try and get someone's attention."

     "Won't that give someone's attention who might kill us," Maura whispered, her breathing intensifying. Delancy bit her bottom lip knowing the girl was right, but they've already caught the wrong one's attention.

"They already know we're here," Delancy whispered, which sent shivers down Maura's spine. Delancy felt tears form in her eyes from the real truth she just spoken. She reached to touch the door knob hoping when she would turn it, the door would open. When she touched the doorknob, the knob was unexplainably scolding.

The fiery heat burnt the skin on Delancy's hand off. The doorknob was so hot, when she pulled back her hand, the flesh had melted off. Sharp, burning pains all rushed to her at once whenever she touched the knob. She let out a scream, tears instantly rolling down her face. Maura went into a panic, grabbing the girl's wrist. Delancy started shaking, uncontrollably sobbing from the pain. "It's okay," Maura breathed out, trying to see how badly she was wounded.