xii. long gone

CHAPTER TWELVE.

[ xii. long gone ]

WHAT HAPPENED TO Caroline was never something she would've thought she would have to prepare herself for. The thought never came to her that maybe one day, a saw would be driven into her back and out of her abdomen. Never in her life she would thought she would feel her own blood gushing out from the wound, soaking through her clothing and down her skin. The red liquid slowly spewing and running down her skin.

She never thought she would have to prepare herself with the possibility of her bleeding out. Being stuck in between life and death as well as being stuck to a door that was keeping her alive. The sharp and shooting pain that made her tear up every time she moved or breathed. She was ready and didn't know she had to be ready for a moment like that to come her way.

Having to see the scared and worried eyes of her best friend staring at her. Having her hand held so tightly, it was as if they didn't want to let go. Afraid she may die if they lose touch. She didn't know she would have to deal with the emotion of leaving this world. Although Caroline has joked about it countless times, she never knew it would happen so soon.

She didn't know she had to prepare to be tortured by a villainous spirt that "lived" off of beings in pain. And Caroline wished she didn't have to think or endure any of this. Alas, life ends up stabbing lives in the back.

Literally.

Harriet squeezed Caroline's hand, frantically squinting at the exposed saw sticking out from Caroline's stomach. It was pitch black. They could barely see each other as it was. Caroline winced in pain, dropping her head back; which caused it to hit the door. "They'll find us," Harriet reassured unsurely, but still flashed a weak smile.

Caroline started to feel the taste of metal in her mouth. A familiar taste when she used to suck on her finger when she got a paper cut. A familiar taste of blood that reminded her the smell of cents. She moved her head over away from Harriet and spit out the blood coming up her throat. The Orman girl new that was a bad sign and the wounded girl needed to get help fast. Or else . . .

     "Maybe I-I can try to scream their names?" Harriet suggested hurriedly. She started to become panicky as she knew she needed to act fast. Caroline shook her head, coughing. Which brought more pain to her body.

     "That's the most-." Caroline was cut off as she spit out another loogie of blood. Harriet's throat shut tight, her jaw clenching. "The most dumbest thing you have ever said, Hair," the brunette said weakly, licking her bloodied lips. Harriet grabbed her pale friend's hand with both hands, squeezing it slightly.