viii. not like this

CHAPTER EIGHT.

[ viii

[ viii. not like this ]

CAROLINE, HARRIET, DELANCY, and Maura all huddled together as they walked through the dark hallway. Their only light source was Harriet's flashlight. They were all terrified, fearing what they may encounter. They didn't want to keep walking, they all wanted to turn back around. But their will to live was so high, they needed to know if there was a way out.

Caroline found her hand next to Harriet's and decided to hold it for comfort. Caroline didn't think anything of the friendly notion, but Harriet, however, reacted completely differently. Harriet's deep brown eyes widened with shock. Her heart beating out of her chest, but in a good way. Even though she could die at any moment, she wanted to scream with joy.

     Nobody knew that Harriet was a closeted lesbian and had a small crush on Caroline; who is straight. Harriet knew her friends would accept her for the way she was, but it didn't do anything to her fear of people rejecting her sexuality. Her father especially.

     Her father was a caring soul, just like her mother. She'd do anything to help her father in any way, just like she'd do for her younger brother. A part of her knew her father would most likely accept her for who she is, but another part of her feared that he'd be horrified of the idea. That he'd shun her or send her away to become "sanctified".

     Harriet intertwined her fingers with Caroline's, allowing it to be more comfortable. Caroline thought nothing of it, just a friendly gesture. The pale brunette squeezed the mixed girl's hand, which sent Harriet away to the heavens. It was like she was in paradise, even though she was walking through hell.

     "What exactly are we looking for?" Delancy questioned in a whisper, doing her best to keep quiet. Maria licked her lips, unsure how to answer.

     "A broken window that isn't boarded up, a hole to the outside world . . ." Harriet shivered, holding tightly onto Caroline's hand. In the other hand, she held her flashlight which guided a way.

     "What's all back here, Harriet?" Caroline whispered, looking over to her. The curly-headed girl gulped down the lump in her throat. The way Caroline said her name sounded like waves crashing into each other at the beach, a wonderful sound.

     "As far as I know, four bedrooms and three bathrooms," Harriet breathed out fearfully. Maura took a big sigh, looking at the mold growing on the wall beside of her.

"Okay, let's split up," she said in a soft voice. Caroline immediately started to shake her head, refusing.

"Are you that stupid?!" Caroline exclaimed in a quiet voice. She glanced around before proceeding. "Have you seen any horror movies?! The people who split up always die."