xiv. emotionless fear

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

[ xiv. emotionless fear ]

     HARRIET WALKED SLOWLY down the dark hallway as she kept crying silently to herself. She clutched the switchblade that ultimately, ended Caroline's life. Harriet's eyes were glued onto the entry of the hallway. Her eyes were bloodshot and almost swollen shut from how hard she was crying. She felt nothing besides grief and guilt, something that she would have to live with till the day she died.

     She started to tremble from the overwhelming sadness, but locked her eyes on the entry way of the hallway. Harriet gripped tighter onto the handle of the switchblade, feeling how slick it was from Caroline's blood. She cringed internally, but didn't show it nonetheless. She couldn't, she refused. Her expression was empty, like she felt nothing.

     Harriet bit down on the inside of her cheek and thrived on the pain. She told herself she deserved it and it didn't hurt. She released her teeth from the inside of her cheek, feeling a metal taste on her tongue. The mixed girl disregarded it and continued to step down the hallway.

     The picture of Caroline's body going limp haunted Harriet. The way her lifeless body fell into her arms, how cold her arms began to feel. How the she was dressed in the red crimson that was once inside of her best friend/crush's body.

     Harriet stepped out into the open, clenching her jaw as she saw Ingrid, Scout, Liam, and Layla all huddled together. Tears instantly formed in Harriet's eyes.

Ingrid looked up from pulling down her sleeves over her frigid hands and saw a too familiar girl standing at the edge of the hallway. Ingrid started to shake in disbelief, her eyes widening. "Harriet!" The dirty blonde ran past Scout and towards the Orman girl. Scout, Layla, and Liam watched in shock as Ingrid engulfed Harriet in a hug.

Harriet didn't hug back.

Ingrid noticed this and pulled away, sniffling. She noticed fresh blood covering her shirt and her eyes trailed all over her. Her eyes glanced over at her hand holding a knife covered in blood, as well as her hand. The shorter girl's mouth dropped and her eyes landed on Harriet's. "What happened?" Ingrid trembled as she stared into Harriet's empty, brown eyes.

More tears formed in the silent girl's eyes as she held back her emotion. "Where's Caroline?" Layla questioned loudly, pulling away from Liam. Harriet stumbled back after hearing Caroline's name aloud. Harriet tried to speak, but her throat closed up to where nothing was able to come out.

Ingrid could see it in her eyes. She could see the grief and guilt. She could also see the evidence on the knife. The dirty-blonde girl covered her mouth in horror, shaking her head. "No . . ." Ingrid trembled as she was on the verge of tears.