v. let's play

CHAPTER FIVE.

[ v. let's play ]

THEY ALL AGREED to cover Briar's lifeless body up so they wouldn't have to look at him any further. "W-We need to leave," Liam fearfully stuttered, his eyes darting to the door. He gasped and ran to the door to try and escape. Once he grabbed the handle and tried to pull, he figured out the door wouldn't open.

"Let me see that," Scout breathed out as he walked over to the door, shoving Liam aside. The smaller boy stumbled back a bit, still shaken up. As Scout began to pull on the door handle, the door wouldn't open at all. He grunted and let go of the handle, giving up. "Shit!"

"Oh God, we're stuck here," Caroline trembled, feeling tears form in her eyes. She let out a sob, panicking.

"We need to call the police," Delancy managed to choke out, fumbling with her phone she took out from her back pocket. Ingrid watched with wide as the girl brought the phone to her ear, shaking.

"We need to find Devyn," Ingrid stated terrifyingly. Delancy's heart dropped as she heard something she didn't want to hear. They all saw the look on her face and became worried.

"Nobody answered," Delancy whispered as she swallowed the lump in her throat, slowly bringing her phone down.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God," Harriet mumbled to herself, pacing back and forth.

"Harriet." Ingrid turned towards the nervous girl, catching her attention. "Do you think a ghost took Dev to the basement?" The blonde questioned, making Harriet anxiously bite her bottom lip.

"Why didn't the police answer?!" Scout asked in an irritated tone. He wiped his forehead in distress, trying to figure out how to handle the situation. "They're literally the police!"

"Everyone is out with their kids," Ingrid reminded, cautiously looking around the dark house.

"The most haunted area of the house is the basement," Harriet explained as she let out a shaky sigh, "if a specter took Devyn and . . ." The mixed girl trailed off, holding back her tears as she was reminded about Briar's passing. "Then maybe Devyn is downstairs."

"Then let's go," Ingrid ordered, watching everyone besides Delancy shake their heads. The popular girl looked around with a disgusted look on her face.

"Are you all for real?" She exclaimed softly, fearful whoever (or whatever) took Devyn and killed Briar would hear her. "One of our friends died in front of our eyes and another was taken, and who knows what happened to her." She paused, looking at how guilty they looked. "And you're meaning to tell me you won't try to do everything in your power to save them?"