xiii. soon

CHAPTER THIRTEEN.

[ xiii. soon ]

IF THERE HAD to be one word for their situation, it would have to be unfortunate. Unfortunate because they originally planned to have an exciting sleepover at an abandoned house on the creepiest day of the year. Unfortunate because four innocent teenagers have already died in front of them. Unfortunate because they experienced so much in only a matter of hours, too much for the naked eye. Unfortunate because of the continuous thought that crossed their minds:

"Will I make it out alive?"

The time of the day was almost three in the morning. Only arriving at the Carmichael house at merely eight at night on Halloween. It was then a new day, a new month, and a new time. It was also almost a time which they all expected the worst from, since three A.M. has held a record for being the "Devil's hour" or the "witching hour".

As the thought of possibly dying crossed their minds, a few were secretly convinced they were going to die that night- er . . . morning. Some were set on screaming louder than they already have been. Hoping to wake up neighbors. But the nearest neighbor lived yards down the road from the haunted house, so it wasn't no use.

Or was it?

Calum Davis lied awake with his hands rested on his stomach. His eyes glued to his ceiling that was covering his head from whatever was outside. His mind was thinking of too much for him to sleep. But it happened every night ever since the death of his older brother.

     Calum didn't know at the time that the people who went to school with him were dying as he lied there silently. He didn't expect to get a phone call from Jonah Kelly begging him to help his peers, since he lived close. He never expected his life to change for the worse.

     Or possibly, for his life to end so soon.

     He turned his head slowly to see his clock tick to the number three. Which indicated to him that it was now three in the morning. A time where he refuses to stay up since it made him anxious. He rubbed his sunken in eyes tiredly and rolled over to his side, where he faced the wall that was directly in front of him.

     Calum pulled the blankets closer to him and closed his eyes. Wrinkling his small, pale nose in the process. Just as he closed his eyes and once everything went pitch black, his phone started to go off.

     He shot out of bed from the sudden loud noise. He whipped his head to his phone that was lying on his bedside table. Calum immediately grabbed it and tried to answer the phone call before his parents awoke from the loud noise as well. He took a deep breath and answered the call without looking to see who was calling. "Hello?" He question groggily as he pressed his cellular device against his ear.