xx. "painless" demise

CHAPTER TWENTY.

[ xx. "painless"demise ]

     CALUM CONTINUED TO weep over Melina's body. Partly finding it repulsing that he was holding onto a corpse. He repeatedly looked around through the darkness to find Liam and or Harriet. He heard their loud screams suffused with terror, but it all went quiet. A dead silence that held the last breaths of all of the victims.

He gasped for air and looked back down at Melina. He finally realized he was holding onto a dead girl. A human that took their last breath. Allowing all their muscles to relax in the most revolting way. Her jaw popping out of socket, the way she smelt like feces a few minutes after she passed, and how her body managed to pulsate blood all over Calum afterward.

Calum gagged, tilting his head towards the ceiling. He stretched his neck far away from the lifeless girl as possible. He started to move her off of him, shoving her body onto the ground he was sitting on. He lowered his head just to see her body roll onto the ground like garbage. He kept telling himself silently not to leave her, to carry her out of the house to give her a proper funeral. One decorated with poppies, since they were her favorite flower.

     He stood up instantly, turning away from the girl. Tears started to sting his puffy and red eyes once more. If he got out alive, he didn't know how he would handle the death of Melina and his brother all at once. It wouldn't be the evil specters that would kill him, but it would only be himself.

     "Come on, think," he muttered to himself as he brushed away his tears. Calum made himself walk away from Melina's corpse to find Liam and Harriet alive (hopefully). He turned around one last time to look at Melina, but she was gone.

     Like a magic act, poof. She disappeared into air it seemed like. Calum jumped back and turned completely around towards where the girl once lied. Bloodied and dead. His heart started to pump faster and faster. Quickening its step. He felt the sweat start to trickle down the sides of his face the way the condensation on the mirror formed when he took a shower.

     If only he could paint a smile onto his face the way he would a mirror.

      His muscles tensed up as the eerie silence started to settle in. His heavy breathing filling his ears. It was pitch black. His widened his eyes as much as he was able to just to help him see. Calum kept looking around hurriedly, needing to know if anyone or anything was around.

     "Liam?" Calum called out in a whisper. Shivers were sent down his spine, making him cringe. "Harriet?!"

     "Calum?" A girl's voice was whispered into his ear, but echoed through the basement. He trembled at the sound. Sounding terrifyingly familiar to Melina's voice; almost exact.