What's Wrong with Sol?

Lunette sullenly flipped through a magazine. She and Janice sat in the corner of the room looking for cheap suits to rent for the hosts to wear. The male classmates got to choose their own "theme". There was the nerdy type, quiet type, childish, princely, strong and exotic type. Some of the other boys had yet to decide but they were told that any accessories for their persona had to be supplied by them. Lunette and her friend looked in both expensive, fashion magazines as well as cosplay magazines that might have a perfect outfit from an anime.

Janice nudged Lunette, "Look at Gigi, she's really into this." Lunette tilted her head to see Gigi shout directions at a guy across the room before turning to diligently assist a girl about the room set up. Everything that was in the classroom had to be removed: desks, bookshelves, anything hung on the walls, the teacher's desk and podium, even the writing board would be dismantled. She was currently discussing where everything would be stored during the two day festival.

"It's that CEO blood in her," Lunette answered groggily. Gigi's father ran a company that sold cosmetics including perfumes which the company released a new one every year. The name brand was nearly worldwide, sold in Europe, America and had started moving into China and Japan. Gigi was sure to inherit her father's position and wealth.

"Why don't you sleep here," Janice patted Lunette's elbow, shaking her from her thoughts, "I'll cover for you."

Lunette's sign of thanks was dropping her head on Janice's shoulder, falling asleep instantly.

Something woke Lunette. It was a warm breeze, coming and going rhythmically. She slowly opened her eyes and blinked a couple times, a face coming into view only inches from her own.

There he was, staring at her with a fascinated expression. Sol was so close, the warmth she felt was his breathing. Immediately, she jumped up, her back hitting the chair so hard it moved the desk behind it backwards.

"You are cute when you sleep," he said sweetly and gave a sweet smile.

Lunette ran her hands down her face, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Don't scare me like that, I'll whop you upside the head next time."

"I think I would actually enjoy that," he grabbed the seat Janice was in earlier and faced Lunette with a sigh. "It is so busy," he looked around at the classroom and Lunette followed his gaze. Students were talking animatedly and shouting for help or directions. Gigi had become very popular, moving like a machine, and Janice was holding up fabrics, three girls scrutinized them as if they were deciding which color would be best suited for the class. Even the guys were being helpful by putting books from the bookcases into boxes and hefting them to the left of the door. Two guys were practicing how to stack the chairs with attached desks on top of one another without them toppling over.

"It is very much different than servants preparing for a ball or an event, is it not," Sol observed. His expression was undecipherable but he seemed content by his tone. Lunette stared at his face. This was a side of him she'd rarely seen. His usual excited and flamboyant attitude wasn't something she disliked but it didn't seem to give his personality much depth, almost seeming childlike with his energy and joy. Maybe her scolding Sol made it fun for the both of them in its own way. A type of bonding they shared. Perhaps that was what their parents truly saw.

"Yeah, it is different," Lunette admitted, "and we get to be apart of it."

"So many perspectives! All the varied points of view! They get to pick what to do unlike being given strict directions on how something is to be done. Is this was peasants feel like? Free and happy even though they are under a ruler?"

"I guess this place is different than home." Lunette admitted, grinning slightly herself.

"Of course," Sol seemed to lose a bit of his upbeat-ness. "We could never live like this with our royal duties, but the experience is invigorating." There was silence as if to let the wishful thinking sink in. The sun shone through the classroom, illuminating the dust particles as if they were stars, complimenting the smiling and laughing students in a mini paradise that would never be experienced again. It was almost an aching sadness that would turn into a bittersweet memory in later years of reminiscing.