Exams Finished and Bad News Arrive

Harry's euphoria from winning the Quidditch Cup lasted about a week. The weather seemed to be celebrating the Gryffindor win, and as the June season approached, the days become clear and sultry. All anyone thought of was strolling through the grounds and laying in the lushest green grass with several bottles of pumpkin juice. Maybe play a game of Gobblestone or watching the giant squid propel itself lazily across the Black lakes surface.

But again, no one could. Exams were coming up and instead of laying about in the warm weather, students were forced to stay inside the castle bullying their brains with information while the enchanting summer air blew from the windows. Even the Weasley twins had been spotted studying; the two were about to take their O.W.Ls. As Percy was readying himself for his N.E.W.Ts the best qualification Hogwarts offered. Percy hoped to join the Ministry of Magic, and for that, he would need top grades. He was extremely easy to anger, and jumped at the chance to give anyone severe punishment for disturbing the quiet common room in the evenings.

June was pacing in front of her friend with DADA book in her hands. The only other person who was just as stressed out as June and Percy, was Hermione. The girl was taking so many classes that year, she really should be.

"June, calm down." James tried, his hand successfully taking her book from her hands.

"Calm down? Calm down? I can't be calm with exams just around the corner." June answered talking a mile a minute, reaching for her text book again.

"June.." Ginny started, taking her shoulder and guiding her to a seat. "Your aloud to take a break, stop being Percy."

June shot back up, and took the book back from James.

"What if Percy's got the right idea? Studying a lot. Aiming for the highest grade." June offered, pacing again.

Ginny sighed. "She's gone mad,"

June was about to go off on the other red head when she noticed Hedwig swoop in from the window a letter clutched in her beak. She walked over, book still in her hand, interested as in who the letter was from.

She over heard Harry say that it was Hagrid after he opened the message, "Buckbeak's appeal - it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," said Hermione, searching through her stacks of parchment.

"And they're coming up here to do it." Harry added, still readying the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and -" Harry pauses for a second and appeared to have reread that statement. "- and an executioner."

Hermione looked up, startled.

"An," June paused, "an executioner?" The question came out more as a yelp then a question.

Harry looked at her, and wrapped a protective arm around her shoulder.

"They're bringing an executioner to the appeal! But that sounds as though they've already decided!"

"Yeah," Harry agreed, slowly. "It does."

"They can't!" Ron howled. "I've spent ages reading up stuff for him, they can't just ignore it all!"

June couldn't believe it. The sinking feeling sat in her stomach know that Lucius Malfoy's had influence in the Ministry. Influence such as money, power, and threats that possibly had weight to them. A feeling of dread also sat in her, she couldn't help but think Buckbeak was going to be killed at the appeal. And the worst part about the news was that they couldn't go to Hagrid's hut and comfort him, because of the strict security measures that had be put in place and not lifted. And June knew Harry was thinking the same thing.

***
Exam week started and the once warm and chatter full halls fell quiet. The third-years emerges from Transfiguration at lunchtime on Monday, limp and ashen-faced, comparing results and bemoaning the dreaded tasks they had been set, which had included turning a teacup into a tortoise. Hermione fussed about her tortoise looking more like a turtle, which everyone else had brushed off as insignificant. Others had spouts for tails, or their tortoises exhaled steam, one student's tortoise had a willow-patterned shell.