Cat, Rat and Dog

Harry helped June to her feet and she instinctively hugged his chest and cried into his shirt. Harry held her, June was grateful to have him as her brother. Her heart stayed in her stomach. The four of them stood still, transfixed with horror under the Invisibility Cloak. June tears dried, and all that was left was shock. The last of the sun rays of the setting sun was casting a bloody light over the shadowed grounds. Then, behind them, June heard a familiar howl.

  "Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest, drawing the three's attention. The rat was wiggling madly. Ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, stupid rat? Stay still - OUCH! He bit me!"

  "Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute -"

  "He won't - stay - put -"

  Scabbers was terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

  "What's the matter with him?" June asked, she moved to grab him and try to help control the rat.

  "Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

  June and Ron continued to struggle with the rodent.

  "Scabbers- NO!"

  Too late - the rat had slipped through Ron's and June's fingers, hitting the ground and scampered away. In one bound, Crookshanks sprang after him. And before anyone could stop him, Ron had thrown off the Invisibility Cloak off and ran off into the darkness.

  "Ron!" Hermione moaned.

  "My Merlin," June muttered, throwing off the Cloak and chasing after him.

  "June!" Harry hissed in her wake.

  June ran at a sprint, following after Ron. June was relying on the sounds of his feet rustling the grass and his shouts after Crookshanks.

  "Get away from him - get away - Scabbers, come here -"

  There was a loud thump, and soon June was at Ron's feet almost stumbling over him. The ginger was sprawled on the ground, struggling with the rat. Soon with the help of June, he had gotten Scabbers back in his pocket.

  "Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat -"

  Suddenly Harry and Hermione were there, both panting, them almost falling over him. Ron's hands held tight over a quivering lump.

  "Ron - June - come one - back under the Cloak -" Hermione panted. "Dumbledore - the Minister - they'll be coming back out in a minute -"

  Before they could cover themselves again, before they could even catch their breath, they heard the soft pounding of gigantic paws. Something was bounding towards them out of the dark - an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog. Sirius.

  June's eyes caught Harry reach for his wand, but too late - the dog had made an enormous leap and his front paws hit him on the chest. Harry kneeled over backwards. June's eyes widen. Harry tried to stand up but fell back slightly. The light growling of Sirius as he skidded around, appearing to be looking for a new attack.

  June stayed on her knees. Eyes wide, all focus on the jet-black dog. She was scared, yet she wasn't.

  Ron was on his feet. As Sirius sprang back towards them, Ron pushed Harry aside; the dog's jaws fastened around Ron's outstretched arm. June lunged for Sirius' fur and wrapped her arms around his neck, and was dragged along.