Chapter 6: Family

Iris' POV

"Daddy... I said I'm sorry..." I wanted to cry to Daddy... but I couldn't. Mommy was sitting with me while Eren was with Mikasa and the twins were with Bella. "I-I won't run again."

He sighed as he knelt in front of me and holding my hands. "You scared me... you scared me and your mom. I mean it, okay? Now tell me... from the beginning. That's it. I want to know why you ran away from school."

*   *   *

After I told them, Mommy was called away to help the twins with something, and I was left alone with Daddy. But when I talked to them about the fight and all, Daddy made a noise and smiled. Once the story was done, Daddy hugged me.

"Y-You're not mad?" I asked him as he hugged me.

"Why would I be at that? You tried to stand up for yourself, and that I really loved about you. If you want, I can sign you up for classes to fight. But you have to promise me, that you won't ever leave the school like that without me, mommy, or Eren, understand?"

Nodding, I hugged him back. "I understand, Daddy."

He kisses me on the forehead. "But... I will ground you."

"D-Daddy!" Then, the tears started to come back. "B-But you said we weren't mad at me! Please don't Daddy!"

"Iris... I'm not mad... and I know you probably learned your lesson. But, your mom does want you to be a bit punished. Okay? You won't be able to play games on the TV tonight. Understand me, Iris?"

Sighing, I nodded. "Yes, Daddy."

"Good. Now, go to Bella and do your homework. Understand me? Iris."

"Yes, Daddy." 

He stands up and gives me one last hug. "Now, since I had to leave work early, I have to go do a lot of paperwork." He walks back to his chair and sits at his computer.

"Is it because of me?" I questioned him before walking outside. "Do you have a lot of paperwork because of me? Is it my fault?"

Daddy chuckled a bit. "No. My boss is really mean to me, Iris. He wants me to do a lot of paperwork all the time. When you see him... do you want to give him a big punch in the face or something like that? For me?"

Smiling, he always found something small to make me happy. He didn't care if it wasn't funny or not, just as long as he made everyone else smile. I remember when Mommy was all sad about something, and he started making a mess with the blankets and pillows. It made Mommy really really happy. She smiled so much... even though Daddy didn't like it all dirty. 

"Yes, Daddy. I wanna learn how to punch people!"

"Fine... first. Homework."

"Can I work with Eren? Please?"

He sighed and shrugged. "It depends on him. If you want, go ask him. He's busy with Mikasa." And Daddy went back to work, typing on his computer. And I walked down to Eren's room.

*   *  *

Eren usually doesn't get mad when I go into his room... but to be safe, I knocked on it. "Eren? C-Can I ask you something?" But I didn't hear him and I waited a bit more. Soon, my back got heavy with my homework... and I opened his door. "E-Eren?"

"I gotta go soon, Eren. I gotta be home by 9 and it's already 7:31 pm. I'll see you tomorrow at school-"

Eren stands up and starts to walk towards her with his hand out. "Come on, Levi and Hanji shouldn't mind you having dinner with us." Why did he call Mommy and Daddy that? He always says Mom and Dad... E-Eren?

She looks back up to Eren, "Well, I gotta call my parents then." She stands up and walks to the side, calling on her phone. "Jakob, come on. Give the phone to Mom and Dad. No, I don't want you to pass my message onto them. I want to directly speak to them." After a few minutes, Eren started to snicker. "Hey Mom, can I stay at a friend's house for dinner? It's Eren's house. No, I won't do anything stupid. I'll be home before midnight. Bye Mom." She collapses onto Eren's bed and sighed. "Adopted siblings... always causing trouble."

"Hm... makes sense with the twins." He jokes around. "Though, Iris isn't a troublemaker... she's pretty sweet... for my adopted sister."

"A-Adopted?" When I spoke... Eren heard me and turned to me. "E-Eren?"

He stands up, worried. "Iris... listen to me... I-I didn't say that, okay? Iris..."

"A-Am I adopted?" He shook his head. "The twins?"

Eren sighed, "Iris... don't tell the twins... but I'm... I'm not really your older brother. I'm the one who's adopted."

He knelt to the ground and opened his arms to comfort me... but I only walked backwards. "W-Why? Why are you adopted?"

"Iris... please, come here-"

"N-No..." I say, wanting to run again. "E-Eren... why?" Tears began running down my face and he looked at me with some tears. "E-Eren..." That's when I turned and started to run. "M-Mommy! D-Daddy!"

Mommy walked over to me and she was on the ground. "Iris? Iris... what's wrong?"

I ran over to her, crying into her shirt. "M-Mommy... why is Eren adopted? D-Don't tell me he's right about that! P-Please!"

"Mom- Hanji... she overheard my conversation... with Mikasa. I didn't know. I'm sorry... really, I am." Eren says as he walks in.

Mommy just stared at him, not mad or anything. "It's fine, Eren..." She looks down to me... and she kisses my forehead. "But you, my little flower, can't tell the twins about this. And you can ask me or Daddy as much questions as you want. I'll explain everything to you. I promise you that."

Nodding my head, I continued to cry. "Yes... M-Mommy..."