Chapter 7: Truth

Eren's POV

"Thanks for dinner, Eren, Levi, Hanji." Mikasa said as she bowed before leaving. She turns to me and smiles, "See ya at school tomorrow." 

"See ya then." I walked towards her to the front door and watched her go before I locked the door. 

Zander and Zella ran around, but I could tell they were getting exhausted. They yawned constantly before they started to pass out on the couch. Smiling, I helped Levi by picking up Zella while he had Zander. We walked to their room, and I gently tucked Zella into her bed and gave her her stuffed bunny.

"You're acting like a really good, big brother, Eren." Levi chuckles as he caught me tucking Zella.

Shrugging my shoulders, I smiled. "It's the only thing I can do... after all, I messed everything up. It's pretty much my fault."

Then, I felt his eyes on my back. "Eren. Look at me." His voice wasn't commanding, but it was calm and more fatherly. When I looked him into the eyes, he sighed. "It was an accident. I won't ever blame you for an accident like that. You didn't know. Mikasa didn't know. Besides, Iris should know the truth about you."

Clenching my fists, it didn't help one bit. I promised both Levi and Hanji that I wouldn't ever tell Iris when she got older. And the promise expanded as the twins were born. They didn't break the promise... I did. "It is my fault... and now, she probably hates me..."

"Eren." I felt his hand on my shoulder and he spoke once more in a calm voice. "Don't. You and Iris were close after she was born. I think it would take more than that to make her hate you. Come on, don't act that way for a mistake."

"Maybe it was a mistake for Hanji to adopt me..." I murmured under my breath.

"No, I never thought that adopting you was ever a mistake." Turning around, I saw Hanji holding Iris' hand. "Honestly, Eren... I told you that when you were 6. Remember? I can't ever forget that moment... you asked me if you were the reason I kept crying, and I said no."

Levi smiled a bit, "Besides, you are part of this family. Come on... let's talk to Iris... and then we can talk more about you, Eren."

*   *   *

Going into Levi's office... I remember when he first took me in here... to ask for Hanji's hand because he wanted me to approve it. All I wanted was to see Mom happy and smiling... and when she said she was pregnant... a baby sibling... it seemed joyful. Memories... won't ever fade from my mind.

Levi sat in one of the chairs- not at his desk- while Hanji sat next to him. Iris stood in front of them while I stood on the side. I sighed, feeling regret about accidentally telling that. An accident... that's what it was. If I kept my mouth shut... Iris wouldn't be in trouble by the fight and she wouldn't be in this room again to talk about me.

"Daddy... why is Eren adopted?"

His attention turned to Hanji... after all... she was the one who adopted me from the hell-house of an orphanage. "Iris... I was the one to adopt him... before you were born. I was at an orphanage because it caught my attention and I wanted to see all the kids. Most of them were out playing... but when I saw Eren... I couldn't have him living there. So, I took him into my care. After a year... I started having... troubles."

"What kind of troubles?" Iris tilted her head to understand. To me... it was one of the cutest things to see.

Hanji sighed and chose her words carefully. Knowing what she did when I was 6 years old... and how she met Levi... I knew it all when I was... proven as an adult. "Money troubles, Iris. Anyways... at that time... I met your dad while... working. He helped take care of me and Eren. Before I knew it... I had you, Iris."

I walked over to Iris, hugging her to give her comfort. Tears dripped down her cheeks, leaving tiny streams in its path. "Iris... I meant my words when I held you as a baby. I would always help you... I still love you as my sister..." What am I saying? Yes... I do love my siblings much... but accepting them as my true family?

"B-But why hide it? Are we not good enough?"

I hear both Levi and Hanji sigh. Surprisingly, Hanji didn't answer this question. "We wanted Eren to feel loved too, and part of your family. So we never told. He only knew out of all of you guys. But now... you know. Please don't tell the twins." Levi says to her, kneeling in front of her.

She nods at them, wiping her tears away. "Y-Yes, Daddy..."

"Do you want to go to bed?" I asked Iris and she nods. Then, Levi and Hanji both dismissed us to bed. On the way to her room, I held her hand and walked in silence.

*   *   *

Soon, Iris was almost ready for bed. She was tucked in with her stuffed bird and her nightlight on. Kissing her on the forehead, like I always did with her, she pulled on my shirt. "E-Eren..."

Sighing, I thought it was something serious. Was she getting too old for the tucking in and the kisses on the forehead? Or... was it something more than that? Did she not want me to do it? Did I betray her? I think... I have betrayed her... "Iris... you're not mad at me... are you?"

I looked into her eyes... and I felt calm. I admitted that I did belong in this family... I have and always keep the name, Jaeger... and I am a part of this Ackerman family. Her smile was everyone's cure to any disease. "No... I'm not mad, Big Bro... I'm not mad at all. Because... I love you."

Feeling myself smile at her... I remembered what Levi said to me. That no matter what... it would take more than this reveal of who I am to break my family relationship with Iris. We were close... glued together. My sister... and I won't let anyone break that apart.

"Also, Big Bro... I have a question."

"Anything, Iris. Ask me anything."

She smirks at me, knowing I invited trouble directly here. "Is Mikasa your girlfriend?"