Chapter One: Daryl

Story setting: This story takes place in Alexandria before the Saviors, Hillside, and The Kingdom existed to our survivors. Glenn, Abraham, Denise, and Carl are all still alive, but I tweaked the timeline to have Rick and Michonne already involved. Giving us the perfect Alexandria.

 Giving us the perfect Alexandria

No way did that just happened. I was looking at it with my very own eyes and I still couldn't believe it. How the fuck did I get that careless?

I was stupid. No make that off-the-charts fuckin' stupid. I knew how it happened, but I couldn't believe that I let it.

See Rick and me are out scavenging. That should have told me something was gonna go wrong. It's not like we can't handle ourselves out here, it just that shit goes wrong for us all the time. Why should today be any damn different?

Food, medicine, and weapons were getting hard to find. Lately, we've had to go out further than usual just to get anything. We figured this would be one maybe two nights away from Alexandria. I knew Rick wanted to get back as soon as we could. He had not only his kids waiting for him but a warm bed with a hot woman there too.

That's what messed up my head. It shouldn't've but it did. He had all that waiting for him back home and all I had was an empty room. The fucked up thing was that never bothered me before. But it all of a sudden did.

I'm clearing houses to find anything we could bring back. My crossbow is up. My eyes are looking from corner to corner, but this starts to run through my head. Why now?

Alexandria has us all living pretty well. Who has running water, hot showers, and electricity? We do. That's unheard of these days. I got my own room that is better than anything I ever had before the world went belly up. But each night I'm going to bed alone when no one else is.

How the hell did I end up such a loser?

Rick had Michonne, Glenn had Maggie and Abraham first had Rosita then dumped her for Sasha. Now Rosita was with Spencer of all people. Don't understand that at all. Tara moved in with the Doc. Carol is shackin' up with Tobin. She has more balls than he does. Again why are these cool women choosing such losers?

Hell, even Carl is kissing Enid when they think no one is looking. That leaves Father G, I ain't gonna touch that, Eugene and me. I can't believe I'm in the same category as Eugene. He's the oddest dude I ever met, so how the goddamn motherfuckin' hell did I end up like him?

That's what was distracting me as I cleared this house. My weapon was ready, my steps are slow and steady, but my head was in the damned clouds.

Mistake.

Big fuckin' mistake.

And mistakes will cost you everything.

Mine was not clearing the kitchen fast enough. I stopped just as I walked through the doorway. I was looking to the left with my crossbow facing that way. My right hand was on the handle so my elbow was up to balance the weight.