Chapter Forty-Four: Taylor

I barely got any sleep last night. It was a combination of missing Daryl and worrying about him. Once the sun set, I knew he and Michonne wouldn't make it back. Was everything alright? Did they run into trouble? Too many "what if" scenarios were running through my head and none of them were good.

I wish there would have been some way for him to contact me to let me know everything was fine. He was smart and strong, and so was Michonne. Sometimes that wasn't enough and I hated to imagine what it would be like if he never came back.

All because I wanted a decent crib for the baby.

In the short time we had been together, he had become more important to me than my husband ever was in the ten years we were married. I needed him to come back and help me raise our child.

I needed him, period.

The sun was up, but I had no idea when to expect them to return. I was pacing back and forth in the house driving myself crazy. I finally grabbed the book I had been attempting to read and moved to the front porch, but that wasn't much better. I could see down the street, but not the front gate.

I needed to see that gate open up and watch the truck drive on in with them both in it. Daryl and Michonne had to make it back. They had to.

It was time for a walk.

I left the book on the chair and carefully descended down the stairs. Daryl had gotten protective of me walking far on my own, but I needed to get out. I just couldn't sit there any longer. When I got to Daryl's old house, where Michonne and Rick still lived, I noticed that you could see the front gate from the sidewalk.

That's when I decided to make myself at home on their porch. I doubted Rick would mind since it was my guy and his girl that we were waiting for. So I climbed up the stairs and sat in the chair that had the best view and prepared myself to stay there until they got back.

After maybe thirty minutes I wished I had thought this out better. I was more comfortable here, but I should have thought to bring the book. It would give me something to do now that I wasn't so antsy. Plus, the baby was sitting on my bladder. I was going to have to head back soon or risk an accident.

I could walk back so I could go to the bathroom and grab the book at the same time, but that would mean leaving here and frankly, I didn't want to.

"Look, Judith, we have company," came from behind me.

I turned in my chair and saw Rick standing in the doorway with Judith holding his hand.

I smiled at them both. "I hope you don't mind that I made myself at home here. I'm a bit anxious for them to return."

"Yeah, no problem at all. Judith and I came out here to get some fresh air and do the same." Rick sat down next to me and pulled Judith onto his lap. "You okay? Is there anything you need?"

I was about to give the patented "No, I'm fine," answer when I realized there was something he could do for me. "Could I use the bathroom? The baby is sitting right on my bladder."

"Oh, yeah. Of course. You know where it is, right?"

I had been in this house several times before so I was familiar with where to go. "Yes. Thank you, Rick, I was about to head home and this will be less tiring."

When I was done, I came back out wishing the baby would shift just a little to take the pressure off. I was sitting back down when she decided to give me a little kick. "Oh!" automatically popped out.

"You okay?" Rick asked with a worried look on his face.

"Yes. She just decided to give me an extra strong kick. She's definitely active today." I turned to Judith, "Do you want to feel the baby kick?"