Chapter 3

Silverkit opened her eyes carefully but had to close them when the blinding sun burned her vision. Slowly, she opened them again. Her sister lay motionless beside her. She nudged her gently until she heard her groan in her sleep. Then Silverkit stood up and shook the sand out of her silver fur. The taste of salt was still fresh on her tongue.

"Hey! What's that over there?" a voice called out in the distance. Silverkit spun around and spotted several Ravenclan warriors running down the beach towards the two kits. She quickly helped Shadekit to her paws and looked towards the approaching warriors.

"Help...me." she rasped, her throat was soar from the intake of water she had inhaled in the storm the previous night. The warriors picked up the kits with gentle jaws and carried them to the Ravenclan camp. The sun bore down on them until they reached the shade of trees. Silverkit welcomed the feeling with immense relief. Cats swarmed them and she heard fragments of conversations.

"Those Seaclan kits must have been the storm," one tabby spoke. Her friend muttered, "do you think their mothers dead?" Silverkit cringed slightly but knew it was true. Another tom chimed in, "the Seaclan cats took refuge in Cedarclan, should we bring the kits there?" he asked. Suddenly the leader called for silence.

"Cedarclan has their paws full already. If the kits mother is indeed dead then we will care for them without exception. If she is alive we will return her kits without protest. For now let our medicine cat tend to them and leave them be," the leader growled and dismissed everyone.

Immediately Silverkit heard the medicine cat pad quickly towards her. He came with the scent of herbs and fresh water.

"Swallow," he commanded and handed the kits several yellow leaves. They unwillingly obliged. Soon the kits felt much better though, stronger. The medicine cat Barkclaw led Shadekit and Silverkit towards the medicine cat den to rest. They curled up for a cat nap when something almost instantly awoke them.

"Hello, I am Nightstar, leader of Ravenclan. I hope you will feel welcomed while we search for your mother and father." Nightstar announced stiffly, his long tail flicked uneasily.

"My father is here." she squeaked. Nightstar quirked an eyebrow and stifled a cough. He seemed to examine her closely.

"Oh," was all he said.

"My mother's name is Ashbreeze." she mewed. Nightstar stiffened and shuffled his paws.

"Oh," he said again, his black pelt rippled as he sighed.

"I can't say I'm surprised she didn't tell me." he said softly, his amber eyes were dark with regret.

"Are you my dad?" Silverkit pried. Nightstar nodded and glanced around to make sure no one had overheard. The camp was vacant. Most of the warriors were out scouring the beaches for any Seaclan refugees.

"What didn't she tell you?" She murmured in confusion, hadn't Ashbreeze always snuck out to meet with him? Had she never once mentioned her kits? Their kits? Nightstar cleared his throat; Silverkit could tell she was in for a story.

"Your mother and I met at a gathering and I was instantly captivated by her. She was smart and funny and pretty. But we were from separate clans...and she was a medicine cat apprentice. Still we met in secret. Each day we would go to the border just to see each other. One day she dropped out of her medicine cat training and decided to become a warrior instead. She never told me why." Nightstar said shakily, recalling the events of his past. Silverkit listened with pricked ears.

"Are we the reason she became a warrior?" She queried. Nightstar nodded, and then he quickly added, "I never knew Ashbreeze bore my kits. But even so I am going to keep her secret, whether she is dead or alive. Since you have no father in Seaclan, and if Ashbreeze is dead, I will make you kits of Ravenclan." Nightstar said thoughtfully. Then he got up and began walking away, Silverkit chased after him.