Chapter 7

Stormpaw awoke well before the first rays of sunlight peered through the cracks in the bramble apprentice den. She sat up and faced the opening wall, watching the horizon line for the first sight of orange and gold flames. Her thick silver tail twitched, disturbing twigs along the den flooring. Shadepaw's violet and yellow eyes flickered open.

"Soon," Stormpaw whispered to her sister. Shadepaw nodded in agreement.

"Soon I will get my revenge," she added icily. Mere moments later Nightstar leaped out of his high den and yowled, startling the still camp into alertness. The heads of cats poked out of dens all around, their eyes livid with excitement and nervousness. Stormpaw didn't hesitate to gallop out of her nest, she shot out of the den with Shadepaw on her heels and she skid to a stop in front of the black furred leader. Ravenclan warriors pooled around Nightstar as well, clustering together to hear the battle plan.

Nightstar cleared his throat before naming the warriors who were too attend the battle. Stormpaw let out a hiss as Nightstar didn't name the apprentices, meaning her and her sister were not too attend the battle.

"First he doesn't let us go to the gathering, and now we aren't allowed to fight?" Stormpaw bristled with disbelief. Her comment was only loud enough for Shadepaw to hear however.

Nightstar abruptly stood up and led the warriors to the front of the Ravenclan camp were they would further discuss battle strategies. Stormpaw noticed Larkflight at the head of one of the patrols while the Ravenclan deputy, Pebblestep, looked on angrily from the end. Stormpaw forced down a smile as she approached the deputy.

This ought to be easy...She thought to herself. She could easily play the deputy and bend her to her will.

"Why is Larkflight leading the patrol? You are obviously a senior warrior to him," Stormpaw mewed innocently. Pebblestep frowned and stared at Nightstar's back.

"I don't know why I am back here." she snarled. Stormpaw tittered on.

"Perhaps the leader plans to replace you," Stormpaw sighed. Pebbestep scowled and marched to the front of the patrol, pushing other warriors aside. She forced herself in front of Larkflight much to his dismay. He began to protest but Pebblestep leaned in and whispered a harsh threat in his ear. Stormpaw couldn't make out what she said but Larkflight shut up and feel into step behind the deputy. Stormpaw watched as they slowly trudged out of camp, at the last second Pebblestep stopped and called over her shoulder, "are you coming?"

Stormpaw needed no further prodding and raced to the back of the patrol with Shadepaw by her side. Nightstar didn't object as he watched his two daughters follow the designated patrols out of camp and on towards Seaclan.

The instant the white beaches were in sight the Ravenclan warriors picked up speed and began to charge the unsuspecting Seaclan cats. Stormpaw burst into the camp and located the first cat she could lay eyes on. She lunged forward and snagged a tabbies tail. She wrenched the smaller she cat towards herself and pinned her down, tearing into her fur. Blood welled up from the wounds and the tabby shrieked in pain. Eventually Stormpaw let her up and watched her turn tail and flee. Then she focused her gaze on the next target she could find.

A large tom was battling with two Ravenclan warriors. Muscles rippled beneath his gray fur and it was apparent he was winning.

"Not on my watch," Stormpaw growled and sprang forward. the force of her jump knocked the tom down, but he quickly regained his footing. Together Stormpaw and the two Ravenclan warriors worke team to drive the tom back until he too turned and fled. The other cats were about to thank her when she tore off again in pursuit of another brawl. Stormpaw had no time to waste on futile congratulations. She was about to tackle a tortoiseshell colored cat when SHadepaw caught her attention. She was driving Larkflight back, away from the others. She was going to finish this.