Chapter 14

"Hey, wake up. You don't want to be late on your first day of school." John teased as he tossed a pillow at Evan's head.

Evan was jolted awake by the pillow as it hit his face.

"I'm up, I'm up." Evan groaned and rolled out of bed, collapsing to the floor.

John opened Evan's closet door, ignoring him.

"C'mon, it isn't so bad waking up early." John grabbed Evan's newly provided school uniform.

"Easy for you to say with Wide Awake." Evan did not move off of the ground.

"My quirk doesn't give my energy, though." John turned to face his younger sibling. "I am just able to function without that much sleep. A normal night's rest for you is enough to get me through the full week." John threw the uniform onto Evan, covering his face. "Now get dressed."

Evan moved the outfit from his face and watched John leave the room.

He sat up and looked at the time. 6:34 A.M.

"Less than an hour..." Evan muttered while he dragged himself onto his two feet using his mattress to prop him up.

He began to get dressed in his new uniform, which was the first time he was required to wear any type of uniform.

The clean, black pants made him feel as if though he were going to a formal event.

This is a bit much for a school. At least they let me pick out my own color for the button up shirts they made. Evan smiled to himself while grabbing the shirt.

"Ah," John walked back to his room, checking up on him, "I see you picked blue. How surprising." He mocked.

"You like blue just as much as I do, so what are you trying to make fun of me for?"

"I like normal blues. Midnight blue, sky blue. That kind of stuff."

"Curious blue is normal," Evan huffed while putting it on, "Besides, my eyes are this shade."

"Funny, you used to hate your eyes."

"Don't remind me."

John remained silent, simply watching Evan button up the shirt before throwing a black blazer on top of it.

"It feels like just yesterday you were 12." John let out a laugh. "You grew up so fast."

"You say that like you're an old man. I'm only six years younger than you."

"It feels like I'm an old man." John smiled.

"Maybe if you didn't work so many jobs at once, you would actually be able to rest. Go out. Maybe get a girlfriend." Evan teased.

"Like you're one to talk about that. When we first met, you were so antisocial that I thought you wanted to stay at the orphanage."

"Whatever you say, John."

As Evan tried to walk past his brother, John grabbed him and messed up his hair in a loving way.

"I'm going to kill you." Evan laughed while trying to shove him away, no match for John's strength.

"Well that isn't very heroic of you." John shoved Evan down the hall, grinning. "Now, go eat and get a move on. You don't want to be late on your first day."

"Speaking of late," Evan crossed his arms, "You have a morning shift soon, isn't that right?"

"Oh right," John huffed while moving past Evan and to the front door, "I'll be back later tonight. Have a great first day.." John gave a king smile while waving, shutting the door before Evan could have a chance to respond.