Chapter 73

At six in the morning the next day, Miles woke up on the couch and immediately began to focus on finishing the case, tying together any potential loose ends.

After taking an hour to write up his final report, he printed two copies. Leaving one on the table for Ava to find once she woke up, he walked out of the apartment with the other in hand.

Limitless and Dimension were already at the front of the school, patiently waiting for his arrival. Despite being so early on a weekend, they were fully dressed in their suits.

Miles's car pulled up near the front of the building and his window rolled down, "I was surprised you were awake when I shot you that text."

"Waking up early is the best way to get the most out of your day," Limitless smiled.

Dimension, as always, had a blank expression across her face as she approached the window, "Do you have the finalized report?"

"You could say please," Miles teased, handing the second copy to her, "After all, I was hired by Ava. I owe you two nothing."

"You got most of your information from Nomad, so he will want to see this," Dimension retorted, walking back to Limitless's side.

Miles stared at Limitless as his mind began to think about their conversation last night.

"You seem confident you've solved the case," Limitless raised an eyebrow.

"I'm positive. The Mutilator was definitely behind this, especially since I proved that the victims committed crimes prior to their deaths."

"Despite their ages?"

"Judging a person by their age isn't really practical," Miles stated bluntly.

"I suppose you're right," Limitless let out a laugh, "Will you continue working alongside Ava for the rest of the case?"

"Of course I am. What kind of question is that?"

"Well, you were only hired to find out who did it."

"And the Mutilator's identity is still unknown. Besides, my job isn't done until he or she is brought to justice."

Limitless nodded, "Then I wish you luck."

"For now, my suggestion is to temporarily close the school down. At least until we know the area is safe."

"I'll inform Nomad of your recommendation and see what I can do. Thank you again for your service."

"It's really no problem," Miles could not help a small smile from appearing on his face as he drove away.

Miles parked his car in front of Star Café and walked into the quiet building. There were only a handful of customers, all of whom were minding their own business with newspapers, books, and phones.

As he walked to the cashier, he heard a loud voice exclaim behind him, "Well, I'll be damned, if it isn't the Great Detective Kane himself!"

Miles turned around with a bright smile to see a man wearing a brown suit with curly brown hair, "Adrian Wilson, my man, it's been quite some time!"

"It's felt like ages," Adrian walked towards him, "Ordering anything good?"

"Just about to order a hot chocolate. What brings you here?"

"Came to get a water bottle before work today. But running into you just made my day."

"Says the man who is always too busy to give me a call," Miles raised an eyebrow with a grin.