Chapter 58

Heqet got into a running stance. She was wearing a suit of armor, the metal resembling sharp crocodile scales in both texture and color. Her helmet had a metal snout of the same texture.

Rieko had her arms crossed, watching closely. She was wearing a black form-fitting, short-sleeved crop top with a light grayish-blue vest. The hood on her vest had horns of the same color and thin black fur along the edges. Her black ski goggles were around her neck. Her black knee-high snow boots had fur near her knees, matching her vest's color. The black yoga shorts had a light grayish-blue vertical stripe on either side. Her hands were covered with black fingerless gloves and she had metal forearm guards tinted the same blue that could be found on the rest of her outfit.

Athena stood beside Rieko but was staring to her left, intentionally facing away from both Rieko and Heqet. She wore a tight-fitting, black leather tactical jacket with cyan lightning bolts coming down the arms, on her back, and across her chest. The hood's edges were jaggedly cut and the outer edges were also cyan. Her mid calf-high combat boots had cyan soles and laces, but the rest were black. Her pants went down to her boots and had lightning bolts on either side, matching the aesthetic of her jacket. Her scar was traced over to look like a cyan lightning bolt.

"Alright," Rieko smiled brightly, "Show us your special move. In 3... 2... 1... Now!"

"Lunge!" Heqet charged at the training dummy as fast as she could. When she was a few feet away, she launched herself off the ground and directly towards the target, tackling it with full force and breaking it off of its stand.

She stood up and held the broken dummy up with one hand.

"These dummies are designed to take so much force," Rieko laughed while clapping, "And you still managed to break it. Nice job."

"Thank you," Heqet tossed the dummy she destroyed to the floor and walked back to the others.

"How'd you like it, Athena," Rieko asked.

Athena did not respond, completely lost in thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 "Alright everyone," the teacher opened the classroom door, "It's time for recess."

All the first graders cheered and followed their teacher outside of the classroom as they were led to the exit of the school.

"Hey, new girl," one of the boys called out, "The name's Harry Aloi. Want to play tag with us?"

Athena smiled brightly, "Yes!"

"Great, last one outside is it!" As soon as the boy said that, everyone started rushing past the teacher and towards the exit.

Athena looked over at Anthony, who had his head down and his hands in his pocket.

"What's wrong? You don't like tag?"

"Um... I don't really know," Anthony admitted.

"You don't know? How do you not know?"

"Because I haven't played tag before."

"It's just tag! How have you not played tag before?"

"The other kids..." Anthony whispered, "They don't really like me that much."

"What?" Athena giggled, "You're joking, right?"

"No. At least, I don't think so."

"How do you know?"

"Well..."