Not For Long...

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday dear Ashley!

Happy birthday to you!

I rub the sleep out of my eyes and see my parents in their pajamas standing in my room with a small balloon tied down by string and a balloon weight. Their faces are bright with smiles and their light-hearted energy filled the off-white colored room. I smile at my loving parents, "Thank you."

The fun and smiles slowly fade. "Ashley, it's 7:30, time for school." My mom bluntly states as she walks out of my room to continue her morning routine.

——————————————————————————————————————————

After a long day of "happy birthday's" and tedious assignments, I plop down on my white clothed desk chair and check my phone. It's my birthday; I'm not going to do homework. I snap Ben. With a cute picture, I write, "Ugh I'm so lonely." Just as I'm about to deliver the snap, my grandma calls me. "Hi Nai Nai."

"Happy Birthday Ashley." She sings through the phone. After I say thank you her, she asks, "So I heard you were going out to eat with some friends for your birthday?"

Huh? I didn't plan anything like that. "Uh, Nai Nai? I didn't go out to eat with my friends today." Getting more suspicious, I raise an eyebrow.

Quickly trying to cover up her blow, "Oh really? Don't you always go out to eat with your friends?" I finish talking to her and send the snap to Ben.

Moments later, I get a notification from Snapchat. Ben's response to my snap was, "Not for long."

Ah, I see. My parents are going to throw a surprise dinner for me. That's why Mom and Dad left me home by myself. They needed to plan and set up for the dinner.

——————————————————————————————————————————

"Ok, Mom's taking forever, we can just drive to the restaurant ourselves and meet her there," Dad states after coming home half an hour beforehand. Psh, I know exactly what he's doing. He was giving me an excuse to go to the restaurant without Mom. But little did he know, I was in on the surprise. I knew they invited Ben and Dara.

——————————————————————————————————————————

We arrive to the restaurant, Shabu House. I walk through the doors and I suddenly see Ben. I skip over to the table and see Dara and Mom. I pull off the fake surprise. "OMG!!!" I hug everyone around the table.

My mom studies my face, "Are you surprised?"

Darn, I failed. "Well, to be honest, Nai Nai called me and saying something that made me a bit suspicious, then Ben said something, and then you and Dad were being so obvious." I awkwardly smile. I've never been surprised before because I can just sense things sometimes.