Chapter 1 - Absence

Your Pov

The night is oddly colder and haunted. Numb, broken. I feel my soul crumbling after everything. I don't really feel the hurts and aches in all over my body but I just know I should have been screaming in pain.

I am trying to avert the pain, I stare the line finding my friends who still present, I don't find Eren, Mina, Hannah, Samuel, Marco and Franz among them. Oh, they must have been dead. is all I could think.

And finally, someone is coming up to the platform. I never seen him before, but I could see the wings of freedom badge attached to his uniform. "Today, you choose which division to join, I am up here to invite you to become a part of  the survey corps, I am survey corps commander Erwin Smith" his voice is deep and solid yet just floating in my thoughts.

His voice is now hypnotizing me, I feel like I am alone in a dark hole listening to something that just drifting away from my head until I realize something... where were they? where were the survey corps? they should have been there, they should have saved so many lives. It should have been them, if they were...

"But I should warn you. In the recent titan attack.." again, his words wake the horror and terror I just forgot a seconds ago.

I have warned myself with my own way, I make sure I do not include myself in southern division top 10 soldiers even though I know I could, effortlessly. I need to make sure I decided to join survey corps. I have decided to do so right when I lost everything but  I was scared and terrified and I still am.

A wave of people is leaving the ground as they wish to join other divisions. I could feel a little bit warm when I see familiar faces stay here though I could understand their fear through their indescribable expressions.

We are finally dismissed, I was walking out with empty thoughts when I bumped into the Commander "Where were you?" the question just slipped through out my tongue.

I look at his confused blue eyes. and another words come out "It's same as 5 years ago, it's strange, don't you think?" I told him flat.

I gave him my salute and turn my back around leaving him until he places his hand to my shoulder. And that's the moment I realize, Did I say anything just now? What was that?

He moves to face me and ... he just looks at me in the eyes, his eyes are beautiful, they are sparkling blue but... sad. Well, I guess we all have sad eyes now.

He was trying to say something but in the end he did not say anything and takes his hand off my shoulders still looking at me.

I would say I only give him emotionless expression as I am not really conscious of what is happening.

"(F/N!)" someone shouts my name. Eren, it's him. I turn around to the source of the voice. Eren is approaching me and I find myself running to him and hug him.

"Eren, I lost my hope when I didn't see you until the commander mention your name, I thought you are dead" at last, my smile just come back for a moment.

"I am happy to see you too, (F/N). You need to be more conscious you know, seems you miss a lot of important things" Eren talks awkwardly referring to his Titan transforming ability. Which I have no idea until tonight.

He is still awkward maybe because of the hug.

I do not mean anything with the hug, it's just without me realizing, his spirits and hatred during the training corps have been planted deep inside me.

Because, same as Eren, I wish to kill all the titans above this ground. But unlike him, I do not wish to speak off anything.

"I see, but Eren you need to get back now and you too ... " Commander Erwin comes closer to us.

"(F/N) (L/N), sir" Eren steals my part. "(L/N)" Commander commands.

"Yes sir!" I give my salute and give an honest smile to Eren then leave them.

I realize no one is left here anymore, it's just me. I am coming back to the barrack and now I could suddenly feel the hurts all over my body again.

Erwin's POV

I am very much surprised by her question, it's intriguing.

who is she? what does she think? how does she notice? Is she sharp? I stare her eyes (E/C) it's pretty but empty. I try to explain but I could not.

I look at her back as she leaving me and hug Eren, that empty soul turns to life.