Disobedient

"Pete..." Scar's sleepy palm clasps around what seems to be Pete's massive pointer finger. It felt like a carrot to her; damp, rasp, and grooved carefully.

"Hey..." Pete brushes the hair out of her forehead, making room for the routine caring kiss he'd plant.

"What time is it?" She croaks, her eyes fighting the glue of sleep.

"Gosh..." he rubs the back of his head to stipple a yawn, "I've almost forgotten there was such a thing." the bottom of the void in his eyes was drawn deeper from the surface by the lack of sleep. He had created a pillow out of his arms and rested on the side of Scar's bed. Rested is the key word; he was too afraid to let the hollow bleeps of the heart monitor lull him into that state of security, tricking his mind to dream about the ideal and forget Scar's condition while they decide draw themselves to a constant beep in the middle of the night. He had to fight all the nurses to get to see Scar's awakening.

"You should probably get some sleep." Scar mumbles as she stretches her limbs carefully through the wires that were connected to her.

"There really is a little one in there, huh..." Pete smiled softly, removing the blanket from her belly and placing a hand over her blue hospital robe. "What are we going to do with it?"

"We? Pete there's no telling for sure whether or not there'll be an I at all!" she protests, her brow furrowing.

"Shh..." he cups her cheek, "I know Scarly. Don't get so worked up, it's not good for you." she grimaces, clenching herself forward. "There's a slight chance it would survive."

"I don't even know if I'm ready to be a mom." she sighs.

"I can take care of that. It's a matter of whether or not you'd want to."

"Are you sure you want this?" Scar looks at Pete, "it's not yours or anything..."

"But it's yours. Family doesn't have to share blood to be loved." Scar chuckles softly, nuzzling the palm of his hand with her nose.

"You really should get some rest. You've been up all night."

"How'd you know?"

"I kept myself up to hear you sing."

"I only sing for the asleep, missus." he scolds, "that was very much cheating."

"I thought it was lovely. You should give the sleepless a try sometime." she looks around the room, re-familiarizing her with her chamber. Other than the equipment and Pete, it was bleak, and had the same tangy bleach smell of her childhood. "Where'd everyone else go?"

"Jones went to sleep in his car-- they didn't give us a room. Theme stormed out very late last night after Rox's attack,"

"Oh yeah, I remember that." she said faintly, "I remember that...what was it about?"

"I dunno, just," he shook his head, "Rox was stressed out about you and snapped at Theme, biting where she seemed to be most stressed out about and she stormed out. I think Rox went after her."

"Where's Jenny?" she demands, propping herself up on her elbows abruptly.

"Slow down." Pete replied sternly, "You can't get up that fast."

"No. I need to know. It's not safe, Pete."

"She found out what happened a--"

"She found out what happened?! Who told her?!"
"Jones did-- it was my fault! He wanted to calm me down. The confusion in the waiting room was locking us all up in frustration, he just wanted to tell us to untangle it all up. As Joes apparently does or something, doesn't he?"

"I was supposed to tell Jenny."

"Yet you didn't tell me?"

"I didn't tell you Pete because calming you is one thing. Have you even met Jenny? That was her first heartbreak. And what a heartbreak that was. It must have driven her into overdrive...she can't control her form when she feels something that intensely! She could be dangerous! Has Jones lost his mind? Where did she go?"