1. Stereo

I stood anxiously, watching as people walked past me towards the entrance of backstage. It had been about fifteen minutes since I had last spoken to the bouncer, who was still standing idly by the door. I had told him I had a meeting with Ashleigh, but I guess somewhere along the line, I had been forgotten. The constant commotion around me must have been to blame. The voices around me grew louder with each minute that passed in anticipation for the artist to appear on stage.

I looked down at myself, straightening out the purple dress hugging my petite body. On the phone earlier today, Ashleigh had mentioned our interview would be held at a concert venue - I hadn't realized at the time that it would be a concert in which the artist she was managing was going to be performing at. Granted, I probably should have done some recon on this Ashleigh chick, but she seemed normal and promising on the phone when talking about the job, so I went with my gut... and here I stood.

A few minutes later as the bright lights facing the crowd dimmed slightly, I saw a short, blonde rush over to me from backstage. She smiled when she reached me. "You must be Sage!" she exclaimed, happily. "I'm so glad you made it. Have you been waiting long?"

I shook my head, even though I had been waiting for quite some time. I stuck my hand out to shake hers, but instead she engulfed me into a huge hug. "I'm Ashleigh VeVerka," she grinned as she pulled away. She started towards the entrance to backstage. Noticing I wasn't behind her, she turned, waving for me to follow. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I followed.

"Sorry about meeting like this. I had no other time slot in my schedule, unfortunately," she said over her shoulder as she walked. I followed her into a narrow hallway. People with headsets and clipboards shuffled passed us, looking busy. "So like I said on the phone earlier, this job requires a lot of traveling - none to your expense, of course," she smiled back at me, but kept walking until she reached a door on the right and then opened it.

"That's no problem at all," I finally said. "I'm just glad to be interviewed for this job. To be honest, I'm kind of desperate."

I followed her into the room. No one was inside although it reeked a little of marijuana smoke. I wiggled my nose, adjusting to the smell. "Sorry about the smell," she smiled apologetically. It was as if she could read my mind. "As much as I would like to control the guys 99% of the time, I can't - shit happens," she laughed lightly, sitting down on the leather couch in the middle of the room. "Please, sit."

I did as told and sat down beside her. She smiled sweetly at me. "So the proposal is still the same as the one I emailed you yesterday; mainly you'll be helping me achieve my duties in artist management. I need someone who will devote a huge chunk of their time to this job. I need someone who's going to take it seriously," she sighed. "And I'm going to tell you now, this job - this new life - is a lot. It's a lot different than what you're used to, and it's a hell of a lot more hectic than what you can wrap your brain around. It gets messy and complicated. And I like you already, so I hope that you're up for it." She shrugged and then smiled. "Plus, it'd be great to have another girl around. Too much testosterone all the time," she rolled her eyes playfully.

I sat there for a moment, contemplating everything she had said. I didn't have much to lose, besides what I had lost already. There was nothing holding me back from packing my things and leaving California. I finally smiled. "I think a change of scenery is exactly what I need."

She squealed excitingly and hugged me. "I am so happy you said yes." She glanced at the wall behind me, her eyes widening. "Is that really the time already?" she got up quickly; I followed her lead, a little confused on what was going on. "Well, Sage, welcome to your official first night on the job." She grabbed her iPhone off the side table and walked to the door. "Follow me," she ordered.

As we made our way to the end of the hallway and around the corner,  I could hear loud drums bouncing off the walls. "So please, don't be offended or get upset in any way because I really - and I mean, really need this job, but who do you manage exactly?"

Ashleigh smirked back at me as she pushed aside the curtain leading to the stage. The music became louder now - deafening loud. On stage was a tall blonde covered in tattoos. He was holding the microphone, bopping his head to the beat of the music. He adjusted his snapback, before bringing the mic to his lips.

"Uh, there I go. Two clicks North of the Bronx. Whoever thought she would find love in a stereo; two headphones and a box," He rapped to the beat. I recognized this song. I knew this song. I knew who that was.

I looked over at Ashleigh, who was now looking at me, still smirking. "Welcome to the wild life, kid."