Arduous Responsibilities (Ciel Phantomhive x reader)

Anime: Black Butler

(Y/n)'s POV

The full force of the demon's blow blew my body back a few metres until my body came into contact with the wall, creating a giant dent where I had crashed against it.

Warm, scarlet blood trickled down my head as my vision blurred and my head grew dizzy. The metallic taste of blood in my mouth made me scowl and glare at the two standing before me.

"(Y/n), this is the power I possess. If you will not do my bidding, I'll force you," exclaimed Alois.
"T-the power you possess? W-without your butler, you'd be nothing."
"What?! You filthy brat! Stop spewing lies! Claude...kill her."

I gritted my teeth in frustration and grabbed a knife hidden in my dress but Claude was already onto me. He flicked the knife out of my hand and held me up by my throat.

I grabbed the small daggers in my sleeves and stabbed his arms, making him drop me to the ground. He growled in annoyance before aiming three silver butter knives at me.

Damn it...I couldn't defend myself against a demon. Even if I did manage to injure him, it'd still be useless. I was just a girl and he possessed inhuman strength and agility.

Suddenly, a figure jumped out in front of me and effortlessly caught the knives in his hands. My eyes widened in surprise at this man's unexpected appearance.

"Apologies, but I must take this girl with me," exclaimed Sebastian.
"Claude, kill the girl and bring that demon to me defeated. She's my property," Alois said.
"Your property? I believe you were the one that stole her away from the young master. I am simply here to retrieve her."
"Hmph, well, it took you long enough. She was here for a week and you made no attempts in that period to rescue your damsel in distress."
"No attempts? I think you're mistaken. I visited her every night to get the information she was asked to steal. Now her job here is finished."
"What?!"

Sebastian picked me up and swiftly headed towards the door. I closed my eyes, feeling myself grow drowsy and tired. I was suddenly jerked away by Sebastian, who had jumped onto a rooftop.

"Miss (Y/n), you shouldn't fall asleep now. We'll be back in the Phantomhive Manor in no time," he exclaimed with a smile.
"Ugh, I sure hope so..."

~1 hour later~

My wounds were already treated but the pain still remained. I held it in and began walking to Ciel's office, ignoring the gunshot wound in my calf. I had been trained for such injuries, I couldn't just give up now.

As I knocked on the door, I was enveloped by a flock of arms. Finny, Meirin and Bard had all pulled me into a group hug despite the obvious discomfort showing on my face.

"Miss (Y/n), we missed you so much!" they all yelled.
"You three, get off of her," Ciel ordered.
"Sorry, it's just that we haven't seen her for a while..." Finny started.
"*sigh* Just get out."

They complied to his wishes and quietly left the room. I looked at Ciel as he offered me his hand with a slight blush on his cheeks. I smiled and took it, grateful for his concern.

Without realising, I had gripped his hand a little too tightly, the wound making me stumble as I stood up. However, to my surprise, he showed no signs of irritation and just led me to the couch.

"T-thank you."
"I-I'm sorry for putting you through all that," he said.
"*smiles* Don't worry about it. It was a pleasure to work with you, Ciel."
"Are you leaving tomorrow?"
"Yes, I asked for my maid to come get me."
"Oh...I see. Anyway, thank you for getting that information."
"You're welcome."

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation as Sebastian came in with a tray that held some light snacks for our afternoon tea. I tilted my head to the side in confusion as he smirked at Ciel, who simply glared at the tall man.

"Miss (Y/n), I believe the young master wishes for you to stay a while longer. During your 'stay' at the Trancy Manor, I remember him stating that he wanted to offer you his hospitality for helping him with his mission from the queen," Sebastian explained.
"Oh, is that so? Why didn't you just ask me, Ciel? Of course I'd love to stay."
"*blushes* W-well, I figured that you'd want to go home to rest."
"Yes, he was complaining quite a lot. It almost sounded as if he was...in love with you, Miss (Y/n)."
"S-Sebastian! You're giving (Y/n) the wrong idea. Elizabeth is my fiancé and I do not intend to have a relationship with another girl."
"Hmm, I wonder about that."

I cleared my throat, making the both of them look my way. Ciel immediately blushed and turned his head away, which I found cute. Sebastian served us the tea and cake before taking his leave.

A small giggle escaped my mouth, making him look at me with a raised eyebrow. I waved it off as nothing important. To be honest, I loved him but knew that he was already engaged to Elizabeth.

"(Y/n)."
"Yes Ciel?"

Soft music could be heard coming from somewhere in the manor. Ciel and I looked at each other in confusion. This violinist was awfully good and I had no doubt that it was Sebastian.

"Would you care for a dance?" Ciel asked while extending out his hand.
"I'd be honoured but-"
"I won't let you fall."

He took my hand in his before slowly leading me to an open space. I was surprised at how good he had gotten since the first time I saw him practise with Sebastian.

I accidentally stepped a little too hard, making pain shoot up my leg. Ciel stopped leading me in the dance, letting me lean against his body. I was panting slightly due to the exhaustion.

"I'm sorry you had to be raised in a family of assassins," he exclaimed.
"It's fine, Ciel. I don't mind if it means I can be by your side."
"If...if you were given the chance to run away from your responsibilities, would you?" he whispered.
"...I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on the situation."
"I...see."
"Is something troubling you?"
"No, nothing. I was just thinking."
"Thinking about what?"
"What it would be like if...you were my fiancé instead."

This time, I finally looked him in the eye. I saw pain and restraint mixed with longing and sadness. He released me and took a few steps back. I held back my disappointment and instead, forced a smile.

"I'm sorry for saying such absurd things. I must be tired. I'll let you go now, so that you never have to see me again," he exclaimed.