Veiled Vulnerability (Bam x reader)

Webtoon: Tower of God
Requested by: @monstrositisios
(A/N): I'm sorry if I get the plot wrong but please enjoy

(Y/n)'s POV

Clutching Bam's hand in my own, I willed my hair to activate its power. Feeling the warmth spread through the flow of shinsu and into Bam's body, I urgently increased its healing speed.

Although I was confident in my ability to heal, a small manifestation of corruption made me question whether something might've gone wrong while this occurred.

A soft, golden glow surrounded Bam's body, indicating that my hair had indeed healed his cuts and bruises. A sigh of relief escaped my mouth but that was soon replaced with tightly sealed lips as Bam shifted in his sleep.

Gathering my bundle of hair (sorry if you have short hair), I quietly left the room and shut the door with a soft click. As I headed back to my own room, Endorsi stood leaning against the door with her arms crossed in front of her.

Swallowing the nervousness, I walked forward as if nothing affected me. She held her arm out, halting me in my tracks. In my opinion...she was somewhat intimidating and seemed to dislike me...but that could've just been an illogical assumption on my part.

"Where were you just then?" she asked.
"Checking up on Bam."
"What took you so long? I was waiting for quite a while."
"Did you need me for something?"
"Khun's unconscious. He's still alive but his death was halted just before it could take his life. I guess you could say that he's on the brink of death."
"Why? What happened?"
"Rachel."

That was the only word I needed. Her mere presence was enough to make me sick to the bone. She had not only tried to poison me but attempted to kill Bam on numerous occasions. Now, she had targeted Khun.

"Thanks for letting me know..."
"I can tell that you're hiding something from us. I just hope that it's for our sake," she said.

~An hour later~

Walking slightly behind the brown-haired male, I fidgeted with my fingers, afraid that he had caught on. He suddenly stopped, making me bump into his back. I stumbled backwards a little before steadying myself.

He turned around, his expression too serious. This alone made my palms sweaty, not to mention that I had a crush on him. His intense gaze was usually not so...sharp, which heavily implied the fact that he knew.

"I heard about Khun," Bam exclaimed.
"Yeah, same."
"And...I also know about the healing abilities in your hair."
"What are you talking about?"
"I already know so there's no need to hide the fact any longer."
"How?..."
"I was awake when you healed me. I wanted to see what you were doing so I pretended to be unconscious."
"...did you tell anyone else about it?"
"No, it wasn't my secret to tell but I do wish you tell the others. What's keeping you from exposing this power?"
"You don't understand. Once people find out, they'll do whatever it takes to get their hands on me. Your friends will get hurt in the crossfire and I'll be the one to blame. The price is too high...and I'm...scared..."
"...I see. But why didn't you heal Khun?"
"Because I couldn't-"
"What do you mean you couldn't? He's going to die!"
"Well, people will get suspicious! I can't risk it!"
"So you'd rather save yourself and sacrifice him?..."
"...that's how I was taught to survive in this tower..."
"But he's our friend."
"I-I'm sorry."

Brushing past his shoulder, I walked away and around the corner until I let the tears fall. Already, I had exposed this power and it had caused grief, not happiness nor gratitude. I wasn't willing to let something like that happen again.

Yet why did my heart ache so much? It was true that Khun was a dear friend but I couldn't help but get the feeling that I was more upset by the fact that Bam had seemed to care about him more than he cared about me...

Rushing to my room, I shut the door and collapsed to the floor. It was unfair of me to think this way. My life was no more valuable than anyone else's...yet why did it hurt so much?

It was...impossible for Bam to like someone like me. I was no better than Rachel. I couldn't survive on my own but I would sacrifice others in order to save my own life...

"Long-haired turtle, why are you crying?"

My head shot up, surprised that Rak was in my room. He had searched through my snack drawer and helped himself to a packet of chips. I simply shook my head and waved it off as nothing.

"(Y/n), are you in there?" Bam asked from the other side of the door.
"Yeah, she is but she doesn't look good," Rak replied.

I glared at him but he remained oblivious to my irritation. The door opened slightly and hit my back. I quickly stood up but Bam was faster than I was and had a grip on my arm before I could leave.

"Well, this is awkward. The great Rak will leave you two alone," he said while grabbing another two packets of banana-flavoured snacks.

Bam closed the door after he took his leave. I gasped in surprise as he pulled me into a tight embrace. He buried his face in my neck as my mind tried to process what was happening.

"B-Bam?"
"I'm sorry for getting so worked up...I was told about Khun straight after I got up and...all I could think about was getting you to heal him...I didn't know how afraid you must've been...how afraid you must've been when healing me..."
"Don't worry, I don't blame you. I-"
"Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. I didn't know."

I tried pulling away to look at him but his arms only tightened.

"Let me...stay like this for a while longer..."

Relaxing in his embrace, I hugged him back. Nothing could be heard except for the quiet tick-tock of the clock on the wall. I savoured this moment for it may never happen again.

"You know...I've liked you for a long time..." he exclaimed softly.
"*blush* A-are you serious?"
"Do you not believe me?"
"It's not that I don't believe you. I'm just-"

He placed a gentle kiss on my lips, almost as if he was afraid. Despite the blush creeping onto my cheeks, I pulled him closer and deepened the kiss. He smiled, making me pull away.

"So I take it that you'll be my girlfriend?" he asked.
"*smiles* Of course."

He had a small blush on his cheeks, which made me smile to myself.

"What are you smiling for?" he asked, slightly suspicious.
"Nothing. I love you."
"E-eh?"

This time, I was laughing.