Chapter 29

The next morning, I sleep in a little later than usual, not getting up until 9:00. When I finally summon the energy to roll out of bed, I pull on a black tank with a golden infinity sign on it, and a pair of denim shorts, before going downstairs.

I run into the kitchen since everyone's already eaten breakfast, and grab a strawberry poptart out of the cabinet. I peek out the kitchen window to see what everyone's doing.

I see Laurel, Piper, and Ivy mucking stalls, Aaron brushing down his horse, Claire pacing back and forth on the phone, and Chrissie trailing behind Jesse. But I don't see-

"Hey," a voice greets, accompanied by the feeling of arms around my waist.

I smile and turn around.

"Good morning," I laugh, lightly pressing my lips to his.

"You slept in today," he observes once we break apart.

"Well I was up late last night," I sass, pulling out of his hold and ripping open the foil packet of pop tarts.

"True," he replies as I break a piece off and pop it in my mouth.

"You should go outside or people might start missing you- if we keep disappearing at the same time people will be suspicious," I suggest, heading into the dining room.

"Please- they don't even know you're awake. Besides, no one would guess we'd be together," he laughs. "They all think of me as an asshole, remember?"

I snort. "Maybe they wouldn't if you weren't so closed off to everyone."

"Not everyone," he retorts, pressing his lips to my forehead. He glances at the clock, and curses under his breath.

"What?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"We're getting a new kid today, I'm supposed to go make sure his rooms ready," he replies, shaking his head. "He should be here any minute now."

I look over at him thoughtfully.

"Do we have a name for this person?" I question.

"I think Milo or Marcus or something with an 'M'," he replies, pulling me towards him.

"I'll see you later?" I ask, leaning my forehead against his.

"Of course- it's a small ranch," he chuckles, smiling down at me.

"That it is," I softly state, pressing my lips gently to his.

My eyes instinctively close, my arms going up around his neck. He pulls me almost impossibly close to him, his arms tightly encircling my waist.

"Now I really have to go," he whispers once we break apart.

"Okay," I answer, smiling at him. "I'll be outside."

"And I'll be here," he replies. "See you later."

"Yeah," I say, smiling.

I finish my pop tart faster once he's gone, not having the distraction. Once I'm done, I head outside.

I find Ivy in Blue's stall, picking out his hooves.

"Hey Ivy," I chirp, causing her to turn her head.

"Good morning sleepy head," she laughs. "Another late night?"

"No, just wanted to sleep late," I lie, offering a small smile. "Anyways, I just wanted to tell you I'm going to go give Trigger a bath."

"By yourself? Are you crazy?" she asks, shocked.

"I can handle him," I snort. "Trust me. He's not that bad."