Unbidden

The man beside her smiled as he held out the rose like he had so many other times before , but all she could do was shake her head and turn back to gazing into the stars .

" Please Sakura-chan " His voice was so similar , so alike . But it wasn't him , it wasn't the same as him . Sakura had to use the last of her flimsy control to keep in the tears . She wasn't going to cry , she wouldn't .

" I love you " Sakura trembled and tightened her arms around her bent knees , her lower lip trembling from keeping in the choked scream at bay .

" Stop " She whispered weakly .

" Why wont you love me back ? " He questioned , his eyes filled with the familiar look she had seen so many times in the mirror . But now she saw it in his own , the careful dark gray eyes of the man who had seen her at her best , and at her worst .

" Because you aren't him " You aren't real , you are just a genjutsu . Just a dream . But she said none of this .

" You love someone who doesn't love you back " Sakura flinched , avoiding the truth of his innocent - hurt - words . She opened her mouth to snap an equally humiliating response but found nothing .

" This world is the opposite of the real one " And suddenly , all she could feel was the pain of rejection , the pain of being hated by the one she loved .

" If I love you in this world . . . " Than the one in the other loathes me .

Sakura swallowed hard but the cry of anguish came out anyway , tearing through her throat and echoing into the endless night . He hates me , He hates me . He hates me so much .

And than everything turned black .

. . .

Sakura stared at the palm of her hand , curled up in the corner of the bed with the covers up to her chin .

" He loved me " She muttered . Her eyes were empty , hollow . " He said he loved me . . . .I believed him " Her voice cracked .

Her small body shook under the blanket not from the cold but the repressed tears . And her well built form racked from each oncoming sob .

Rough hands slid around her and slowly wiped the tears from her face , hold her closer and give her the warmth she's yearned for .

" He was not real " His voice gives her shivers , and his touch makes her want .

His grip on her tightens and she feels his lips press where her forehead meets her hairline and his fingers thread through her pink strands as she stays waiting for him to complete his statement while in his arms .

The words he says next are the words she will never forget , the words that can make the end of the world seem bright and meaningful .

" But I am "

Sakura only responds with laughter and tears of happiness and fulfillment when he speaks .

-Refracted