Chapter 7

whoops, there are a lot of POV changes in this one, sorry if you don't like it.

~Alyssa's POV~

"What do you mean?" I ask, panic in my voice.
Jericho exhales shakily. "They've been, for lack of a better word, snatched, but there was a clue left behind."
"Do tell?"
"Here," he pulls a slip of paper out of his pocket and hands it to me. Written in small, dark text are these words.

If you want to get what you're looking for, it may require a bit of a road trip.

"What could it mean?" I ask, looking back up at him.
"I'm not sure," Jericho replies, "but I think it's best that we gather everyone together before making any decisions."
"We'll further discuss this in the morning." I answer, and he leaves.

This means I'm the leader now.

****

~Mona Lisa's POV~

We've been on the road for a few hours. I'm not sure if we've left the zones yet, but I think we're close to getting out of California, seeing as the coordinates are somewhere in Nevada. I'm sitting in shotgun, next to Brian, who is keeping laser focus on the road ahead.

What do I have laser focus on?

The message I received a few nights ago.

It was on the battered smartphone I keep with me at all times. I've had it since before the Helium Wars, and I'm not planning on letting go of it. I was sitting in my room, about to fall asleep, when something happened that I hadn't been expecting, not for a million years:

It vibrated, signaling that it had received a notification.

Jumping out of bed, I picked it up, staring at the slightly cracked screen. A single banner danced across it, making me gasp.

Message

Unknown number

Unlocking the device, I open the message to see a cryptic couple of paragraphs.

Hey, Mona. You probably don't know who I am, but I wanted to let you know that the boys are in fact alive. You've probably found the message we left by now, so I have this advice: go to those coordinates. That's where you'll find me and others who can help you.

Oh, one more thing: you are no longer fighting BL/ind, the Rat-A-Tat, the Bishops, the POLICE, or anything else you've fought before. When you reach Las Vegas, keep a lookout for the Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Ask for Conan or Otto.

Happy trails,

Alex

I had spent hours pondering this message, desperately wondering whether or not I could trust whoever had sent it. But now, as I sit in our old, beat-up Impala, I decide that we're going to have to trust them. It's all we've got right now.

****

~Miss Jackson's POV~

"The pieces are being put together as we speak," Korse says, walking into the conference room the three of us have called home for the past few months. "They may just be reaching the edge of the puzzle, but our plan is hatching itself."

"What's their current status?" Courtney asks, eyebrows raised.

"Driving to Vegas. We've got tabs on all of them."

"Have the others taken action yet?"

"Their schedule is a bit behind. I'm not sure exactly what the Nine are hoping to achieve, but they've always been a bit cryptic."