Chapter 9

~Alyssa's POV~

Clancy comes running into our tent with Jericho at about three in the morning. Ash and I wake up quite suddenly, immediately confused.

"What's going on?" I ask, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.
"I think I just remembered something," Clancy answers, eyes still wide from shock.
"What is it?" Ash implores.
"It's not a lot, but I had a dream that had the closest to a full memory I've ever had, and when I woke up, I had memories from before Dema."

He pauses. "My name isn't Clancy. It's Ryan, and I lived in a desert before I came here."
"Do you have any names of other people you know?" Jericho wonders.
"I know a few from my dream, so I'm assuming they're real people. There were four men, and there names were Brendon, Dallon, Spencer, and the last one...Jon Walker. We found him dead on the side of a road, apparently he was a...Draculoid? I don't know what that is, but all of us seemed really upset."

At the word 'Draculoid', Jericho's eyebrows furrowed. Had he remembered something?

"I know what Draculoids are," he comments, almost muttering to himself. "They're...soldiers? Kind of like a police force, but they wear white and have these strange vampire masks they use to mask their identities. They're not like normal people, less...stimulated."
"How did you know that?" Clancy (or Ryan) asks.
"I...don't know," Jericho answers. "I just remember them all of a sudden. I think I've been shot at by several, I might have killed some. It's like looking at a painting without glasses. If you concentrate hard enough, you can pick out some stuff, but other stuff is just blurry."
"That makes sense," Ash remarks. "It's perfectly fine that neither of you remember everything, it might take a little bit."

After a few more minutes, Jericho and Ryan leave our tent, and Ash and I look at each other with incredulous expressions.

"What do you think this means?" Ash asks.

I ponder her query for a moment. "I think they know how to find Tyler and Josh. There's no way this is just a coincidence."

****

~Violet Renegade's POV~

At some point in the late afternoon, our entourage of cars and bikes comes to a stop about half a mile outside Las Vegas. Everyone climbs out of their vehicles one by one, stretching their legs and familiarizing themselves with their surroundings. I walk over to Silver once I see her and pull her away from the rest of the group, muttering "can we talk for a second?" without waiting for an answer.

"Sure," she answers, confused. "What's up?"

"Am I the only one that feels like they've seen Carter before?"
She furrows her eyebrows, looking at him for a second. "Actually, now that you mention it, he looks kind of familiar."
"I think I've figured out where I know him from."
"How?"
"I don't know, I guess it just clicked. I was scouring my memories for his face and came across the interaction we had with the Banditos. I'm not sure if he was one of them because I don't remember names, but he kind of looks like the two guys that stayed with us."
"If that's who he was, don't you think he would have said something?"
"I don't know. He doesn't seem to remember anything about his life before waking up in the desert. Maybe it's a result of his condition, but I think it's got something to do with this."
"You may be right," she says, "but I believe that we should get more information before we come to any conclusions."

We rejoin the group, which has started making a plan of attack. Or, more like a plan of action.

"We should go to the exact coordinates it said," Winona comments, receiving a few nods.
"Maybe we should figure out what's going on in the city beforehand," Brian adds, referencing the unusual noises and lights coming from the city. It seemed like there was a big event occurring, and we weren't sure if the people in Las Vegas were hostile or not. "Any ideas, Vi?"