Chapter 37:I'm Queen

2 weeks later,

Strobe lights danced on the sides as some loud hiphop music played in the background.

Dozens of guests, mostly celebrities filled up the ballroom gazing at the models. Brenda Wairimu couldn't stop gushing about the dresses to her husband, Juliani who kept shaking his dreadlocks like a mad man. The best couple in town, Rinah Githaiga sat next to her long time boyfriend, Tyler Mbaya, who looked dashing in a black tuxedo. The two kept kissing and giggling and caressing each other.  Eric Omondi, could be seen from a distance recording a video with his phone, as his Italian girlfriend cheered at the models.

The beautiful models who were as tall as lightposts walked on the runway, looking stunning in the African print dresses (kitenge).

Amani sat among the guests, holding hands with Brian who was having a good time.

"Great job babe!" Brian told Amani smiling.

She looked up at him. "Thanks."

The show was surely a success. Every thing had gone as planned, except Nick Mutuma and Pascal Tokodi had not showed up. Pascal, a famous artist, had sent an apology. Nick Mutuma, a well known actor, had snobbed her and had not even bothered to sent an apology.

But other than that, her mum and sister were here. Lilly was over excited, screaming at the beautiful models as they graced the runway. Daniel was busy trying to calm her down. Koi was just eating every snack she set her eyes on. Karis looked like he'd rather be out in the air, smoking. Over the past few weeks, these people had become family. And she loved them.

It was time for the speech.

Amani quickly ran to the backstage. Charity was there thanking the models. This show would have been nothing without Charity. She had been so dedicated to make it a success. And Amani couldn't be more grateful.

She grabbed Charity's hand and walked with her on the runway. The guests cheered as the DJ reduced the volume for Amani to speak.

"Thank you. Thank you," Amani said with a mic in her hand. "Thankyou guys for coming. It really means a lot. You've all made this show a success and I couldn't be more thankful. Clap for yourselves." She said, running her hands through the long black silk off shoulder dress, which had a touch of African print on the waist.

The guests clapped, cheering.

"So, I'm Amani Kimani. And I'm a fashion designer. Me and my beautiful partner here, Charity Mwende, came up with the Cancer Is Not Me Campaign and we decided to make it a fashion show." She paused. "As you all know, hundredths of Kenyans die annually due to cancer. Why? Mostly due to insufficient funds and at times, poor medication. I have blood cancer and believe me, I wouldn't be standing here if it were not for the financial and emotional support of my beautiful family. I'm lucky that I have them in my life. But life has taught me, not everyone is lucky to have such a family. And due to that, Charity and I came up with this campaign to help cancer patients that can not afford to get proper medication. All the funds collected shall be donated to cancer hospitals and medical centres. Please give out the little you have. Every coin counts."

The guests jeered and cheered as they clapped.

Amani grinned looking at Charity as they locked hands. "And lastly and most importantly, I would like to introduce to you the new owner of AMANI FASHION & DESIGNS, Charity Mwende!"

Claps and cheers filled the ballroom. Charity was surprised. She had not seen this coming.

"Say thank you bitch!" Amani whispered.