Chapter 11: A Majestic Dove

(Author's Note: In some places, you will see three dashes in a row. Those are meant to resemble an em dash. I just put them there because there's not an actual character on the keyboard for the em dash, so I would have had to go copy one to paste every time I wanted to write. It was easier for me to replace them with three dashes.)

As I re-entered Turo's cottage, I took a moment to examine its contents. Whenever I first opened the door, I came into the kitchen. Wooden shelves contained small cups of various spices and powders next to a gas stove. Pots of honey and sugar lined the counter-tops, displaying their contents through simplified illustrations. The honey had a picture of a bee painted on it, and the pot of sugar pictured a number of tantalizing desserts. such as chocolate cake and sugar cookies. In the middle of the kitchen, there was a rustic farmer's table with four chairs placed around it. A centerpiece of wildflowers laid in the center of the table, giving the room a pop of color. To the left of the kitchen, a little blue couch sat next to a rocking chair. The chair and the couch faced towards a very old-looking fireplace. The stone on the inside seemed to be covered in ash and dust, and the outer stone was very cracked. I walked down the hallway past the living room and kitchen and turned the handle of the bedroom door as quickly as I could.

"Nopira, Rukni! I understand why you hid the truth from me. I forgive you for lying, and I want to apologize for blowing up at you," I expressed.

"Oh, Dianne, there's no need to apologize. We should be the ones saying sorry to you! We let you roam the universe blindly, never knowing that there was a greater purpose for your existence here," Nopira confessed.

"No, it's okay. I now realize how crucial it is that I fulfill the prophecy. It would be selfish of me to decline my call to save the world. I may be reluctant to do this, but for all inhabitants of the universe, I must step up."

"Dianne, I can see you are growing as an individual. You have learned to admit your mistakes and take everyone's needs and feelings into consideration. Good job," Rukni acknowledged.

"That's so kind, sir. Thank you. Now that we have made up, is there anything else you'd like to tell me, either of you."

"Yes. You know that scahg I killed outside of the Great Labyrinth? I should explain to you why that creature was even there at all. It was a minion of the destructive force. The scahg wanted to kill you, to stop you from fulfilling the prophecy. We may see similar creatures in the future. They will stop at nothing to prevent you from saving the universe, Dianne," Nopira warned.

"That is an alarming prospect, but now, we have an extra pair of hands to accompany us on our journey, and she has cool powers!" I complimented, beaming at Turo.

"Yes! I'm surprised that you just assumed I would be accompanying you, but you are correct. I would love to help you on your adventure. Better yet, I actually have another friend who could come along as well!"

Turo stuck her head out the bedroom window and began whistling a cheery tune. I could already tell where this was going. I was going to meet another bird, whom I could befriend and converse with! This time, however, it would not be a Tragic Bird. I would get to meet a Miraculous Bird! A small dove flew through the window and landed on the stack of books sitting on the nightstand beside my bed. Its feathers were as white as snow, and its eyes sparkled like the sun.

"This is Juxame! Do you know the keyword for Miraculous Birds, Dianne? In fact, all of you ought to know the word," Turo pointed out.

"I know the word! It is kwelanga. Do you know the word for Tragic Birds?" Nopira hissed.

"Very well then, go ahead, Dianne. Say it. Because Rukni is also a bird he does not need to say anything to speak to Juxame. He can introduce himself to her as well," Turo encouraged.

"Kwelanga," I said, confidently meeting the gaze of Juxame.

"Greetings, milady! It's nice to meet you. I've been looking forward to meeting a Miraculous Bird ever since I learned about your kind. I've had a pleasant stay in the Third Reality so far."

"Hello! It is nice to meet you too, young lady. In fact, I have been looking forward to meeting a neutral being, so your excitement to meet a Miraculous Bird, such as myself, is much appreciated!"

"Wonderful! Your respective friend and guardian Turo is very kind. She healed me with her Healing Wave, and she cheered me up after an argument I had with my friends just a moment ago. The crow is named Rukni, I might add. I think you would like him. You two seem like you could be great pals. The inyanga is Nopira. He has spectacular powers, which have left me in awe. He saved me from a scahg in the First Reality. Nopira is very heroic."

"You sound like you have very supportive friends. That is very important because they will be there to catch you when you fall and back you up when facing an army. Of course, I don't mean that literally. It would be absurd to expect one measly neutral being to battle hundreds or even thousands of foes. It is also unlikely that one would have a quick enough reaction time to save you from hitting the ground. Nevertheless, having good friends is very valuable! I'm glad you have them there for you. They seem very loyal. As Turo mentioned before, and you just suggested, I will go introduce myself to Rukni. I am very eager to see what he has to say."

With her goodbye, Juxame flew off to the other side of the room to speak with Rukni.

"So, what do you think of Juxame?" Turo asked me, turning away from a conversation with Nopira.

"Oh, I think she is quite pleasant! I am delighted that she will be tagging along on our adventure. Her presence will certainly lighten the mood, and she offers good advice, so it's a win-win situation for me!"

"That's great, Dianne. I wanted to talk to you about the hardships you will face in the Third Reality, though. Our ultimate goal here is to get to Pimana's Palace and be granted access to the Ultraportal, the portal to the Passenger Dimension. The first step we must take to get there is to solve the Bocerd Puzzle. It is an ancient puzzle that has only been solved a few times before, according to legend. It will be very difficult and require critical thinking, but I believe in the abilities of our team. After we solve the Bocerd Puzzle, we will have no choice but to pass through the lair of Phersine, a huge serpent that never shows its face above the surface. Phersine's Lair is the only route to Pimana's Palace. Phersine will never allow us to exit her lair if she can help it, so we must slay her. I know we can do it. As a team, we are very powerful."

A feeling of dread hung over me. I had to solve what could be the universe's trickiest puzzle and fight another monster? Why did fulfilling the prophecy have to be so demanding? It was like every time I found myself in a safe spot, another danger came tumbling towards me.

"You seem so hesitant, Dianne. Do not worry, you are stronger than you think you are. We are stronger than we think we are! We should live in the present, not the future. We'll cross all bridges when we come to them. The first bridge we must cross is the Bocerd Puzzle. It is best if we head out now. If you have any unfinished business here, please take care of it. I will be waiting outside when you're ready," Turo commented.