Chapter 15: Mercenaries

(Author's Note: In some places, you will see three dashes in a row. Those are meant to resemble an em dash. I just put them there because there's not an actual character on the keyboard for the em dash, so I would have had to go copy one to paste every time I wanted to write. It was easier for me to replace them with three dashes.)

"Boo!" Turo shouted, tapping my shoulder after creeping up behind me.

I gave her an unimpressed look.

"Aw, man! I was sure that would scare you. You didn't move a muscle! I guess I was wrong," Turo pouted.

"It's funny that you were pretending to be a ghost since you basically are one."

"What? How dare you say such a thing! It very so happens tha---"

"I'm just kidding! Now I know that both ilangas and inyangas don't take lightly to being called ghosts. At first, I thought it was just Nopira who was annoyed by it. Well, Ghost Girl, I'm glad you've joined us."

"Yes! We're the ultimate team: Dianne, the girl who has mastered the art of climbing trees, Ghost Boy, Ghost Girl, and a crow! Finally, I'm not the only ghost of the group," Nopira joked.

"We should come up with a name for our team! The Ghostly Group! No, the Serpent Slayers!" Turo suggested.

Nopira and Turo begin to chat about what our name should be, and I decided that I needed to participate in a more mature discussion for the time being. I walked to the side of the path to Pimana's Palace, where Rukni was hopping along.

"Yenyanga," I whispered, careful not to let Turo or Nopira hear.

"Rukni, how are you holding up?"

"I'm doing just fine, Dianne. How about you? I'd think that you'd have more to worry about than I, considering all the emotional and physical trauma you've endured."

"You should know by now that I don't break easily. I'm concerned for Turo more than anyone else. Her best friend died less than half an hour ago! Currently, she seems like she's having a grand time, but I don't think it will last," I admitted.

"Well, dear, Turo is very good at staying positive. It's not like she can change what happened, so why should she feel dejected? I'm sure she will take the time to mourn Juxame's death in the future, but right now, it is critical that we keep moving, and she knows that. Besides, she may just be glad that you're alive and well, or maybe she is excited to meet the Ophezulu Ilanga and present you as the subject of the prophecy."

"That is very true. Thank you, Rukni. You always seem to have the wisest words to share with me."

"Do not thank me. As your elder, it is only my job to give you advice, therefore it does not bother me a bit to help you, Dianne."

By the time the Turo had caught up to us, we had almost arrived, but that was not surprising because the walk to the castle was quite brisk. The trees began to thin out as we advanced and the entirety of Pimana's Palace became visible. A moat which held a golden liquid similar to the fluid that spouted from Turo's Geyser of Light. The palace appeared as if it had come straight from the Dark Ages. I was almost afraid that an army of knights would bust through the wooden door to strike me down, or I would contract the bubonic plague and have to be nursed back to health by a plague doctor in the dungeon. Stained glass windows, each depicting a unique aspect of the Third Reality's geography, lined the walls of the castle. One window pictured the Third Staircase, and another pictured Phersine's Lair. The towers branching above the palace reached high into the sky, grasping for the clouds. A drawbridge in front of the door had been laid down above the moat, providing easy entrance into the castle.