roomie

Dear

Jordie

It actually hasn't been long since you left, though it feels like months. Mom and dad are fighting again. I think dad is going to lose his job. He comes home every day, drinks a cup of instant coffee, and then locks himself in his office and does who knows what. I hope things are going good with your rehabilitation and all. You deserve a good life, one that isn't fed by drugs. Cole stopped by the other day, looking for you. He was disappointed when mom kicked him out. But I think he got the message that you don't want him around anymore. Have you made any friends? Mom said you were chatting with a "cute little blonde" boy. Write me back as soon as possible.

Love,

Jasper.

I gulped and wiped a single tear that rolled down my cheek. Jasper was my best friend, even though he was my brother. I missed him like crazy and the letter was making me more emotional than I needed to be. A boy laughed and I looked up. Everyone seemed so happy to be reading letters from friends and family. I put mine back in its envelope for safe keeping and trudged to my room to put it on my bulletin board. A girl making the bed next to mine surprised me. Although I did figure I'd get a roomie at some point.

"Hi. I'm Jordie. I guess I'm your roommate," I said and held out a hand for her to shake. She didn't acknowledge me at all.

"Excuse me, hello?"

She didn't respond until I tapped her shoulder, and that's when she turned to me. I noticed the hearing aids in her ears as she turned them on.

"Hi, I'm Ainsley," she said happily.

"I'm Jordie."

"Jordie?" she asked, I nodded.

"I like that name."

"I like yours."

"Oh! I hope you don't mind, I had to set up my alarm clock," she said slowly, pointing to the thing on the nightstand, "It flashes and vibrates. I'm hard of hearing."

"Yeah, that's fine," I assured her, and she grinned.

"Do you sign?"

"As in sign language? I tried to learn it but I had to quit," I said as I walked over to my bulletin board, but I made sure to face her so she could read my lips if she needed to.

"Shame."

"Yeah."

She went back to making the bed and setting up her things. I offered to show her around and she accepted, so I waited.

~

"This is the shared room. We have movie night sometimes, and I like to play video games in here with my friend Michael," I explained as we stood next to the couch.

"It's nice."

"Ainsley Peterson?" a doctor asked, but Ainsley continued to stare out of the window that faced the ocean. I got her attention and pointed to the lady beckoning her over.

"Thanks for the tour," she said before disappearing downstairs.

I huffed and collapsed onto the couch; staring up at the ceiling. I already missed Michael's company, and Luke had been spending almost all of his time with Ashton. That was odd to me, but I figured Ashton was okay once you got to know him. Amy was in a group therapy session for internet addiction, so I couldn't do anything with her. She told me that she spent every waking moment on her computer or phone, and I said she was bluffing. Either way, it was obvious that she really liked the internet because she had a panic attack when the doctors wouldn't let her watch her favorite band's livestream. I couldn't blame her, though. She lived a somewhat sheltered life and music just spoke to her. So did the internet. Nonetheless, I still had nothing to do.

Well I had an idea.

I walked hastily to the boys' rooms; asking around until someone told me which room was Michael's. Once I reached #7 I scoffed because I could've found it myself. The big "MIKEY AND JAMES" printed on the door pretty much gave him away. I knocked softly, rocking back and forth on my heels as I waited. A few boys peered down the hall and whispered amongst themselves. I stared at them until they got uncomfortable and walked away, and by then Michael was standing in the doorframe.

"Hey," he said coolly.

"Hi."

"I'd let you in but it's against the rules," he sighed sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and slipped past him, gaping at the Star Wars blanket on one of the beds.

"Please, please, tell me that's not your's," I begged.

"It's not," he laughed.

"Good."

"So what's up?" he asked as he climbed into his bed.

"Eh, not much. I did get a new roomie."

"Are you serious? I guess we won't be having any more steamy make out sessions."

"Michael!" I gasped as I smacked him on the shoulder.

"Jesus, Jordie. That hurt," he complained.

"You deserved it."

"Maybe I did, but you hit really hard."

"That's what my ex says."

"Jordie, ew."

"Michael, ew," I mimicked in a high pitched tone.

"Ha. Very funny. Come here."

I smiled and hopped onto the bed, leaning my shoulder against his. We stared at the wall for a long time, just enjoying each other's company. Everything was fine until he said something I didn't really expect to hear.

"I really want to have sex."

"With me?" I questioned, slightly repulsed by the crude remark.

"I don't know. I'd do it with anyone. But you'd be my first choice because we're friendly and stuff," he admitted with a casual shrug.

"The whole reason you're here is to stop having so much... fun?"

"What?"

"I don't know."

"Amy already told me you got into a little bit of trouble. The whole reason you're here is to stop doing drugs. Don't be a hypocrite, Jordan."

"I'm not being a hypocrite," I sighed.

"Yeah, just a little bit."

"It's different. Your body doesn't react like mine. I have a dependency on cocaine, you just like to screw around," I said bitterly.

"Screwing around was what got you into coke in the first place!" he shouted, while trying to remain quiet.

"You don't know anything about my past, Michael. Don't bring my mistakes into this."

"Well don't talk about something you know nothing about, Jordie. It won't do you any good."

I stood up, ready to storm away dramatically, but Michael's fingers caught my wrist and pulled me back over to him. His forehead lightly pressed against mine as he held onto my arm for dear life.

"Leaving and pushing people away isn't good either, babe," he said lowly.

"That's how I cope," I choked quietly.

"Look, blondie, you're nice and I want to be your friend. But only if you promise not to push me away."

I chewed on my cheek and nodded, but shook his head, "I want you to say it."

"I promise."

"Great. Now give me a hug."