Prolouge

Duro was a great and fearsome warrior of Erebor, who had been charged with the task of training the King's guard. He was brave and couragous, never known as one to back down from a challange. Long before he met his wife, he participated in many battles against orcs and goblins. From such battles, he had earned the title Duro Steelarm, for it seemed as if his sword was an extension of his arm.

Torhild was a quite she-dwarf, who had made her living selling jewelery in the city of Dale. All who knew her had only good things to say. She was kinde hearted, and always had a knack of finding the best in people.

It was for this reason, she and Duro fell in love. Most she-dwarves steered clear of the fearsome, red-haired dwarve. But not Torhild. One day, as she was leaving to go to Dale, the dwarve had seen her. Immediately, he was taken with her beauty and offered to accompany her to the city.

Seeing nothing wrong, Torhild agreed. From that day on, whenever she left for Dale, he would accompany her. Before long, the two were wed and had a child.

The child was a girl, which surprised the couple. It was not often that the first born of a family was a she-dwarve. Despite this, they were over joyed and named her Faltia.

As she grew, it was apparent the young she-dwarve was a meld of both her parent's looks. Like her mother, she had brown hair that in some spots, varied in shade, and her eyes were an emerald green like her father.

At a young age, it seemed Faltia was to follow Torhild's footsteps, becoming a jeweler. For days on end, she would spend time by her mother's side, watching as she crafted beautiful necklaces and hair pieces. On a few occasions, she was even allowed to try her hand at the craft. It soon became apparent that she would make a fine jeweler.

That is, until young Faltia saw two dwarven boys training one day. Immediately, she became entranced by how they moved, swinging and twirling their swords. And it just so happened, her father was the one training them. For many days after that, she would sneak away from her mother to watch the boys train.

The pattern continued till one day, when Duro caught sight of his daughter watching as he trained Balin and Dwalin. Though, unlike many Dwarves, he did not scold her for her curiosity. Instead, he seemed over joyed.

In many Dwarven families, the eldest son was to train in the trade of his father. Unfortunately, it had become apparent to Duro that his wife could not provide him with another child, as it seemed there had been difficulty when delivering Faltia.

--------------------

"Faltia." Duro called, catching a glimpse of his daughter's brown hair. "I know you're there. You can come out." Slowly, the young she-dwarve came out from her hiding place. Her head was tilted down so she was looking at the end of her boots that were barely peeking out from under her skirt.

Balin and Dwalin had stopped their sparring when they heard their mentor speak. Turning, they too saw the she-dwarve.

"Now, what were you doing over there?" Duro asked, a false anger in his voice. The two young dwarves had caught it, looking at him curiously. His daughter, however, had not.

"I'm sorry 'Adad." She apologized, wringing her hands. "I just wanted to watch. I found it interesting." Duro was silent for a moment, but soon started to chuckle.

At hearing her father's amusement, Faltia looked up. Once her saw her face, the red haired dwarve stopped. The young she-dwarve had tears in her eyes. She truely believed she was in trouble.

"Oh, Mizimith." Crouching down in front of her, he wiped a stray tear away. "I'm not made at you." He gave her a soft smile. "I'm actually very happy."