Chapter 5.2 - Astaevka

Liege Marext studied the map that lay across the large table in the centre of his personal chamber. His eyes flicked back and forth between Morcham and the Evaran realm. For the twentieth time he calculated how long it would take for his troops to reach Evara. Although five leagues a day could easily be expected across the open land that lay between the two realms, it would completely different once they reached the forests of Evara.

The night was growing cool. He turned to the slave boy that was the only other occupant of the room. According to Liege Marext's manslave the boy was nine years old. He was also rumoured to be Gretch's son. To Liege Marext's eyes the boy looked no different from any other slave boy. His dark wavy hair rested above his shoulders and was long enough that it he had to wipe it out of his brown eyes. His face wore the blank, emotionless expression that slaves were encouraged to always have. He wore the same fitted grey leggings and tunic that all other slaves wore.

"Boy!" Liege Marext called out. The child raised his head from scrubbing the floor.

"Yes, Liege?

Liege Marext walked over to a side table and removed the tasseled cloths covering two plates of silver, and a wooden bowl. Liege Marext indicated the wooden bowl.

"Light the fire, then you may eat."

The boy's eyes widened at the large piece of grilled chicken sticking out of the bowl.

"Yes, my Liege."

"If you do your tasks tonight well I will tell my cooks to bring you more chicken."

"Thank you, my Liege."

"Remember this, I am generous to those who are faithful to me."

Two faint knocks sounded on the large, brass studded door. After a moment Marext's manslave silently entered the chamber with bowed head. He waited in silence in front of the door.

"Yes?" Liege Marext asked as he went back to studying the map.

"A message has just been received from the Astaevka barbarian clan."

"What did he want?" Liege Marext asked without looking up.

"He says that a young Evara woman, two barbarian warriors, and a man that matches Gretch the Hunter's description, entered their lands today."

Marext spun around. "Could he be lying? This sounds too good to be true!"

"I have no way of telling whether or not he is speaking the truth, but I do not see any reason for him to try to deceive you."

A barking laugh burst out of Liege Marext's mouth. "This is wonderful news! Send a message back to him with instructions that the Evara and her travelling companions are not to leave Astaevka lands. I will visit them myself. Once the message is delivered ready my other flier with two seats. This boy will accompany me," he pointed to the boy slave who was still building the fire.

The boy turned with wide eyes towards his Liege. "Really my Liege?" he asked with dropped jaw. "I get to see outside the palace?"

Liege Marext smiled. "As I said before, I am generous to those who are faithful."

***

Shaleh looked back. One hundred and ten warriors followed behind her and Nurlan. Ten of them were Empa warriors from the clan of her birth, the rest were the soldiers Nurlan had brought with him when he left his clan.

Shaleh cast a furtive glance at Nurlan sitting straight in his saddle. He had a sour look on his face.

He isn't handsome, but at least he isn't ugly. There are a lot of people more ugly than him.