Chapter 7 - Mosaic

"It is time to fulfill your promise to me," Sapphire smiled as if Alam were a long lost friend.

"Send us back!" Alam demanded while straining to break the bonds that held him to the wooden post.

"No," she shook her head. "Tajar, it is good to see you recovered. The mulberries I gave to Alam seem to have healed you well. It is pleasing to see you again."

"It is pleasing to see you too, Sapphire," Tajar said. His gaze was transfixed to her face.

"Clear your head, Tajar!" Alam shouted. "She's bewitching you!"

Sapphire looked at Alam and held a finger to her lips. "Shhh... There is no need to shout."

She turned away from Alam, looked to Tajar and slowly walked to him. "I have been thinking about you, Tajar." Her blue dress was vivid contrast against the dark grey boulders that surrounded them. Each step caused the dress to move against her figure in a way that made Alam, even despite his fury, catch his breath

"And I have been thinking of you too," Tajar stared at her.

She walked up to Tajar and whispered something in his ear. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply.

"Let us get you down," she purred. "Have you a knife?" She looked up and down Tajar's body for a few seconds before suddenly withdrawing with a frown. "Where are the weapons I gave you?"

"They are back in the Astaevka camp," Tajar explained.

"What?"

"They were taken from us," Tajar said.

"You lost them?" Her frown deepened.

"Send us back and maybe we'll be able to get them," Alam asserted.

Sapphire paused a moment as if considering Alam's suggestion.

"No, it is too far away, and time is critical. You will just have to do without them. I am hoping that she," Sapphire pointed to the still unconscious form of Clarisai, "is as helpful as I think she is. Hopefully she has some of the power than runs in her people's veins."

She bent down and picked up two rocks. Both of the rocks barely fit in the palms of her hands.

"Do not go anywhere," she smiled, "I will be back shortly." She turned around and walked lightly over the tumbled dark rocks and boulders. Her black hair was played with by the wind showing her neckline. Alam's eyes followed her neckline to her shoulders and down her back towards...

"Gah!" He squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head. With his eyes closed he could feel a soft blurriness in his mind. It was causing his heart to race and his reason to vanish.

Get out of me.

Instantly Sapphire's allure was gone.

He opened his eyes and saw Sapphire move out of sight behind some boulders. Her beauty was still perfect, but it no longer held any sway over him. Tajar was another matter completely. He slumped against his rope bindings and stared at the place she had disappeared with a vacant, blissful look on his face.

"Clarisai, are you alright?" Alam gently shook the small woman who was bound on the opposite side of the post, facing him. She did not reply. Alam, with his arms bound around her sides, concentrated on trying to detect any sign of life. His arms could just barely feel her torso moving in and out with breath.

Thank the heavens.

***

Alam and Tajar were both shivering uncontrollably, and Clarisai's bound hands were cold against Alam's side when Sapphire finally returned more than an hour later. She carried a long, dark grey stone knife in each hand.