Chapter 2.2 - Union

Five minutes later, Shaleh, Nurlan, Serik and the five Khashbal warriors were cantering into the dark. Above them, the moon and clouds battled for dominance of the sky, providing intermittent, dim light.

An hour later, with the very first light of dusk starting to give form to the world, Serik signalled for them to stop. He pointed ahead to an opening between two hills. He then pointed to the top of the two hills. Shaleh squinted but could see nothing in the dim early light. Nurlan nodded solemnly.

"Good work, Serik," whispered Shaleh.

Nurlan turned his horse to address the warriors.

"Everyone is to loosen their sword in case it is needed," he instructed. "But leave them in their scabbards. Do not draw until I give the order. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Lord Nurlan," his five warriors whispered back.

"Shaleh and I will ride at the front," Nurlan continued. "The rest follow in pairs. I expect perfect lines." Nurlan then nudged his horse into a walk towards the gap between the hills.

"We're just going to stroll into their camp?" Shaleh whispered fiercely.

"Yes."

"This is stupid."

"Are you still angry at me?"

"Why would I be angry at you?" Shaleh asked, knowing that she was.

"For not waking you up when Serik came in."

Shaleh sighed. "Yes, I am. I'm the daughter of a chief who never withheld me from military discussions just because I'm a woman. I've been on raids, I know how to handle myself. You need to trust me in all matters, not just the cooking!"

"I will give it thought. Women in my clan are not usually involved in such matters."

"You don't need to think about it, you just need to do it," she flared.

Nurlan chuckled. "Let us finish this conversation later, when archers are not aiming at our chests." With a move of his head he indicated the top of the two hills that their horses were approaching. Two archers were crouched and ready to fire on each hilltop.

"Fine," Shaleh muttered. "But you had better know what you're doing. This is much too reckless."

As their horses passed between the hills Nurlan kept his gaze forward. Shaleh wondered at his calm.

He actually looks bored.

Nerves started cramping her stomach, bringing on the beginnings of nausea.

No, no, no. Don't throw up, don't throw up...

She swallowed and forced herself to breathe.

Following the curve of the hills brought them into a clearing with a small fire casting illumination around a camp of ten or so travel tents. In front of the fire stood six warriors with arrows resting on their bowstrings. With the fire behind them their faces were silhouetted.

Six warriors here, four above us on the hilltops. Where are the other five?

"Greetings Lord Nurlan!" said an older man in the centre of the six warriors. "We have been looking for you."

"And now you have found us!" Nurlan smiled back. He continued to walk his horse towards the waiting warriors. "It is good to see you again, Tuer."

"As it is to see you," Tuer replied. Shaleh could not see his expression, but he did not sound glad to see Nurlan.

Nurlan dismounted, smiled broadly and walked towards Tuer with outstretched arms. Tuer relaxed the bow in his hand and walked towards Nurlan. They embraced like friends who had not seen each other for years, with plenty of back slapping. Shaleh breathed deeply in relief and dismounted her horse. She glanced at the other Khashbal warriors with bows.