FIFTEEN

"You're worrying the hell out of me, Venus," he speaks firmly into the phone. "First, you don't show up for work for a few days. Then, Jocelyn either declines my calls or sends me a quick message to leave her alone. I just want to know if you're okay. Please call me back."

Tom ran his hands through his hair, tugging at the ends. He's been so worried over the past four days that he's called in sick at work each morning, now at the point of getting fired. Evelyn could sense his stress, running into his bedroom, despite the closed door.

"Tangled is in the DVD player," she huffs as she jumps onto his bed. Her eyebrows furrow as she notices the annoyed look he can't help but give her.

"I'm not in the mood, Evie," he groans.

"You know how you say you worry about me when I say I'm not hungry after not eating the whole day?" Tom nods, not getting where this was going. "Well that's how I feel right now. Because you love watching Disney movies with me, you haven't eaten supper with me in forever, and we never cuddle anymore." Tom's grimace drops, a deep frown replacing it. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm so sorry, Evelyn," he whispers, on the verge of tears. He was becoming a shitty father all over again. "I'm just- there's a lot going on right now."

"Is mommy calling you?" Tom's jaw tightened. "Then what? What is it?"

"Get in the car," he orders softly. "We're visiting Venus." Evelyn keeps her smiles and cheers to herself, sensing the seriousness in her father's demeanor. She runs to grab her coat and slide on her shoes, jumping in the car.

Was he really doing this?

➴⋆➶

"Daddy, did you forget how to knock?" Evelyn questions. Tom shushes her, returning his eyes to the door. He was wringing his hands until wrinkles appeared, his daughter growing more worried with each passing second. "You go like this," she speaks, not giving him a chance to stop her from pounding on the door. "See?" Tom bites on his tongue, his eyes snapping to the voice behind the door.

"Go away," someone behind the door spoke, their voice dry and hoarse.

"It's Tom and Evelyn," Evelyn shouts, Tom's eyes widening.

"No more talking," he whispers to her harshly. She twists her lips into a tight circle, squinting her eyes and pinching her eyebrows together as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Tom?" the voice questions, sounding small.

"Venus?" he questions back, sounding more sturdy. The door slowly opens, a fresh faced Venus peeking between the small crack.

"What are you doing here?" she questions.

"You've been MIA for four days," he responds. "To say I'm worried is an understatement."

"Oh," Venus huffs. "I'm okay."

"Bullshit," Tom easily replies.

"Daddy!" Evelyn gasps. Venus's eyes flicker down to the little girl, a light sparking in her facial features.

"Hi, Evelyn," she speaks. She didn't want to open the door wider, but she had no choice once the little girl budged her way in and jumped into her arms. Tom didn't mean to snoop or invade her privacy, but the unfamiliar wreck of her apartment drew him in behind his daughter. "Oh, um-"