THREE

"Next thing I knew, she was sobbing in his arms!" Venus exclaims to her best friend, plopping onto the couch. "I mean, should I have done something?"

"I think you did the best thing," Jocelyn responds, resting her head into her palm as her elbow perched into the back of the couch. "Though that is heartbreaking."

"Even he had tears in his eyes," she huffs, staring up at the ceiling with her hands resting on her chest. "I just wanted to do something to make them both smile again."

"That's my Venus," Jocelyn chuckles lightly. "Always been a people pleaser."

"I can't help it when I see people crying!" she exclaims, sitting upright. "Especially kids."

"You've always had a softer spot for children," Jocelyn sighs, giving a teasing smile.

"They're so small and cute," Venus defends, falling backward once again. "And they're always so happy and uplifting."

"I'm sorry to break up your little vent on other people's sadness," Jocelyn speaks, sitting up straight again, "but was the dad cute?" Venus sits up straight too, smacking a pillow in her best friend's face. "Hey! I'm just asking."

"Well stop asking," she groans, falling back and placing the pillow over her face. "Maybe he was."

"Yes!" Jocelyn exclaims, jumping on her best friend. "That little girl definitely saw something in you two."

"She's a kid," Venus remarks after flinging the pillow off of her face and onto the ground, still gripped by her hand. "And maybe the mother is still in the picture - do you know how awkward that would be to date him? Like- what if they got back together? Or their feelings never stopped for each other and he accidentally cheats on me with her because they're still in love and just noticed?" Jocelyn rolls her eyes.

"All I'm saying is," she huffs, standing from the couch, "if he returns to the café, you're getting his phone number." Venus lets out a low, loud, and long groan. "Please, Vee! Not so much for me, but more for you!"

"One," Venus starts, her eyebrows furrowed, "why for you at all? And two, why for me?"

"For me because you're always in my hair and I never get time to myself or with just my girlfriend," Jocelyn remarks. "And for you because it's been years since you've had any action."

"Joss!" Venus squeals, hiding her face under the pillow once more.

"I'm serious!" she laughs. "No cuddling, no kissing, no sex-"

"Okay!" Venus shouts, throwing herself onto her feet. "I'll get his number. But! I'm only getting it because you told me to. Not because I want it."

"Okay whatever," Jocelyn snorts, walking into the bathroom.

Venus exhales deeply, placing herself back on the couch. She grabs the TV remote and turns on Netflix, wanting to find something new to watch. Her eyes fell and lingered on a title, her stomach flipping.

"I'm only watching this show because Jean-Luc Bilodeau is attractive," she mumbles to herself, hesitantly clicking on the TV series titled Baby Daddy.

"Yeah right!" Jocelyn called from behind her.

"Oh shut up!" Venus shouts in return. "How'd you even hear me?"

"Some of my senses are hyperactive," Jocelyn shrugs, flushing the toilet and washing her hands before joining Venus on her couch. "Wait, are you seriously watching a show based around a single dad?" she questions. She snorts, shaking her head. "You're in deep already, Maddox."

"Shut it, will you?" Venus hisses. "Or I'll make you stay quiet."

"Oh yeah?" Jocelyn challenges. "Try me." Venus glances her way, an evil glint in her eye. Jocelyn sighs and holds up her hands in a lazy mock surrender pose before placing her full attention on the screen in front of her.