FIVE

Venus was knocking off chores on the list that was left for her to finish up with as the shop grew closer to closing hours. It was a ghost town, the last usual customer leaving with all three of her college papers written.

Her heart leapt as the bell rang, her eyes not moving back to look at the customer. "Mrs. Rhodes? You're late," she chuckles, finishing up drying the mugs and little plates before spinning around, her breath hitched in her throat as her eyes caught the familiar coffee brown ones. "Y-you're not Mrs. Rhodes."

"No, I'm afraid not," Tom chuckles, following his excited daughter to the counter. "Just got done with a late basketball game," he sighs, patting Evelyn's head as she rested her arms on the granite, "and decided to swing by and get a couple more of those delicious hot chocolates."

"Two hot chocolates coming up," Venus smiles, punching it into the cash register.

As Tom pulled out his wallet, he examined the empty shop. "Are you closing?"

"Not yet," Venus answers, taking his twenty dollar bill and grabbing the change she owed him. "Still have about half an hour."

"You guys close early on Sundays?" he questions.

"Yeah," Venus sighs, handing him his change delicately. "We always have a large rush in the morning due to everyone getting out of church at the same time so it usually drains us."

"Keep it," Tom responds with a grin as he places every piece of his change in the tip jar.

"That's very kind of you," Venus replies, "but it's more than we've ever gotten from one person. It's really not necessary."

"Seriously?" Tom questions. He hums softly, shaking his head. "You guys deserve more. This place is kind and very hospitable."

"Well, thank you," Venus smiles. "But seriously, you don't have to tip us that much." She felt bad taking any amount of his money.

Tom gives a cheeky grin before pulling out another twenty and placing it in the tip jar. "Sorry, that's all I have on me at the moment." Venus's mouth had dropped open.

"Y-your drinks will be brought to you," Venus stutters, glancing back up at him. "Make yourself comfy."

Evelyn grins as she walks off to make their drinks, Tom turning to pick out a spot. "Our booth!" she calls out, racing over to it. Tom chuckles, following her at his own pace. "Daddy, why did you do that?"

"Do what?" he questioned, raising his eyebrows in amusement, a big grin still plastered on his face. Evelyn gasps, then giggles.

"You have a crush," she sings.

"Evelyn," he scolds softly, "don't make a scene."

"She's very pretty," she whispers, leaning over to the table, "and she's very nice. I approve."

"Oh do you now?" Tom laughs, leaning over the table too.

"Yes," she replies softly. "I hope she likes dogs."

"Me too," Tom responds, settling back into his seat, hanging his arm over the back of it.

"She'd love Tessa," Evelyn grins. "Who couldn't?"

"You're not wrong, princess," he replies. Evelyn hushes herself as soon as she hears Venus nearing, resting her back into the seat.

"Two hot chocolates," Venus announces, placing both mugs down. She runs back over to the counter, hurrying back to the table. "And two chocolate scones."

"We didn't order those," Tom chuckles politely.

"I know," Venus huffs, pushing back her side pieces that fell from her messy bun. "It's my way of saying thank you in the smallest way possible." Tom smiles, shaking his head lightly.

"You didn't have to at all," he retorts. She seemed more anxious than the last time.

"Here," she spoke finally, setting down two napkins, one on top of the other, in the middle of the two. "Enjoy," she nervously smiles before returning to the back rather quickly.

"I think she likes you too," Evelyn chuckles as she takes one of the scones and her mug, pulling both close to her. She reaches for a napkin, flipping it over to find the crease so she could spread it out across her lap. She pulls a face of amusement, almost as if she was holding back a scream or an evil laugh or both. "I think this one's yours," she speaks as she hands him the napkin.

Tom's eyebrows furrow as he sets his scone back down and examines the thin napkin. His face drops, his heart stops, and his eyes widen just a bit at the ten digit number.

"Guess who was right," Evelyn mumbles as she takes the other napkin, places it over her lap after extending it, and bites into her scone respectfully, catching the crumbs that fall. Tom blinked, glancing back over at the counter. Venus wiped the granite quickly before hiding again, though she didn't feel his gaze, just felt her face heat up more and more with each passing second and couldn't bear the embarrassment if he confronted her about it.

"You're always right, aren't you?" Tom speaks in monotone, spinning his head back to his daughter slowly.

"You know it," Evelyn replies as she continues to devour her scone. "I might have to ask for an ice cube for my hot chocolate."

"I got it," Tom interjects, standing from the booth. He approached the counter again and waited patiently for Venus to reappear. She eventually did, and apologized for making him wait. "My daughter wants an ice cube. Can she have one please?"

"Oh, yeah, of course," Venus chuckles lightly, reaching into the freezer. "And these?" she questions as she holds up the jar of mini marshmallows. Tom grins, nodding.

Tom allows her to walk first, noticing her pace is also rather quick. Was giving him her number really making her this tense?

"Here, sweetie," she spoke as she plopped the ice cube in Evelyn's mug and placed several marshmallows on top of it. "Dad want any?" she questions, turning her head to him as he finally took his seat.

"Sure," he smiles, watching her settle them in his drink.

"Enjoy," she breathes, giving a final smile before hurrying back behind the counter.

"You should calm her down," Evelyn speaks quietly, looking into her drink. "She seems scared." Tom glances Venus's way, but she still failed to meet his stare.

"Finish up your things and I will, okay?" he responds.