Chapter 1

Anne Harper was the hardworking mother of four children, Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn. She and her husband Brian Harper were spending half of their Saturday preparing for a mega-birthday party that was to go down that night at Stanky’s, a restaurant right next their sports equipment shop.

“I need your guest list, Dawn.” Anne said as her daughter came down into the store from their apartment upstairs. “And put on your uniform, you look like just another customer. Josie’s wearing her uniform, see?”

“But it’s my birthday, mom.” Dawn complained. She was wearing a red and beige plaid jacket and a yellow t-shirt with a cartoon panda printed on it over black jeans. “I shouldn’t have to wear that scratchy vest on my birthday.”

Nicky, Ricky and Dicky, who were all properly dressed in beige pants and the blue-and-orange vests that read ‘Harper’s Sporting Goods’ on the front and their respective names on the back, stopped arranging the equipment on the shelves and slowly turned to glare at Dawn.

“Is that my jacket?” Nicky asked.

“Are those my pants?” Dicky asked.

No, these pants aren’t ripped.” Dawn replied. She turned quickly to look if they really were not ripped. Dicky’s pants all had rips on the knees, or the thighs or the calves. Apparently, ripped or frayed jeans were ‘cool’, but she’d rather not walk around looking homeless.

“And the jacket?” Nicky demanded. Dawn ran her hands down the edge of the jacket and tugged on it a bit.

“Oh, yeah, this is yours.” She admitted.

“Give it back!”

“What, why?” Dawn whined.

“Because you need to be in your uniform, honey.” Anne looked back down at the cash register. “Josie, would you mind handling the cashier for a while? I have to go clear the party venue for tonight.”

“Um… Venue? What venue?” Dawn asked, slipping off Nicky’s jacket and balling it up in her hands.

“Stanky’s.” Anne said.

Again?”

“What do you mean, ‘again’?” Dicky said. “We’ve had our party there for the last nine years.”

“That’s where the ‘again’ comes in.” Dawn rolled her eyes.

Jacket, Dawn.

“Sorry.” Dawn chucked the jacket at Nicky.