Chapter 10

“Apparently their captain likes Dicky or something.” Mae said.

“Aw, too bad he likes you.” Dawn grinned.

“Shut up, Dawn.” Mae shook her head. “What letter are you up to?”

“The ‘T’ in birthday.” Dawn said. “Help me?” Mae knelt beside Dawn and took another permanent marker. “After we finish this we’ll tape it up on that wall,” Dawn pointed, “Then go look for a cake.”

“What happened to that cake you baked yesterday?” Mae asked.

“Nicky, Ricky and Dicky stole it. They’re probably wiping my name off it as we speak.” Dawn said. “There, done.”

“I’ll get the tape.” Mae pushed herself up. “By the way, we don’t have any money left for cake, but I think my mom’s got a pie in the pantry.”

“That’ll do.” Dawn shrugged. She gathered up the papers into a pile, then pulled a pack of balloons out of one of the plastic bags.

Mae walked up the basement stairs to the kitchen.

“Hello, Mae.” Nicky, Ricky and Dicky stood at the kitchen doorway, their arms folded and eyes narrowed.

Mae stopped in her tracks. “What—how did you get in?”

“Your mom let us in. We said we were here to pick Dawn up.” Ricky said.

“Liars.”

“You lied first.” Nicky argued.

“So what?”

Anyway,” Dicky interrupted. “We really are here to pick Dawn up. Mom and dad want to know what’s going on with her party.”

“Um… I’ll be right back.” Mae turned back towards the stairs just as Dawn came up.

“Hey, Mae! Got the pie?...” Dawn saw her brothers and glared. “What’re they doing here?”

“Mom and dad want to know what’s going on with your party.” Dicky said roughly.

“But I’m not done planning yet!” Dawn protested.

“Aw, too bad.” Ricky grabbed his sister’s wrist and yanked her out of Mae’s house.

“See you, Mae!” Dawn called over her shoulder as she stumbled over her own feet being dragged out of the house by her brothers. Mae gave a little wave behind their backs.

Will. You. Let. Go!” Dawn yanked her arm out of Ricky’s hand. “You could’ve just asked me to come instead of crippling my arm, you know.”

“Be quiet and talk to mom.” Ricky shoved Dawn through the glass doors into the sports shop.

“Hey, honey! How’s the party planning going?” Anne and Brian Harper turned around from where they were talking to Josie at the counter.

“It was going just fine before they showed up.” Dawn huffed, stomping over to her parents. “We were just setting up Mae’s basement.”