Chapter 5

“You made it for the party, which is no longer your party, so it’s no longer your cake either.” Ricky walked out.

“He’s got a point, Dawn.” Dicky was lying on his bed, tossing a basketball up in the air over and over again.

“No he doesn’t!” Dawn said indignantly. “If I made the cake, it’s mine!”

“So now the cake is yours? Just like this birthday?” Nicky started up angrily. “It’s our birthday too, Dawn! Don’t be so selfish with your birthday!”

“I’m not being selfish, I just wanted my own party!” Dawn argued.

“And now you want the party to be yours, well, why don’t you just take the house, then, too? Go ahead, kick us all out of it!” Nicky stormed out after Ricky. Dicky pushed the basketball away.

“What they said.” He sighed, and went out after his brothers.

Dawn glanced around the empty room, determining that she was alone, and then picked the landline up again.

“Hey, Mae? Remember what I said earlier?” She said.

“Yeah, but then you hung up on me.” Mae huffed. “What’s up with that?”

“Sorry, my brothers are kind of mad at me. They turned the music up really loud.” Dawn explained.

“I’d say.” Mae replied. “You kind of ditched them to have your own party.”

“We already do everything else together, what’s the big deal about the party?” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“Well --”

“Anyway,” She cut Mae off, “I called to see if you could help me plan the party.”

“I don’t know.” Mae sounded reluctant. “Most of your friends are your brothers’ friends too, you’re going to be giving them an impossible decision to make.”

“I have my own friends, too,” Dawn protested. “What about… Jasmine?”

“Jasmine? You were only lab partners with her once, and I thought you said she made you do all the work.”

“True… but she’s not friends with my brothers.”

“She’s not friends with you either.”

“Why don’t we just change the time of the party? Make it earlier or something?”

Dawn, we’re going to have to plan really quickly here. The only convenient time for everyone is the exact same hours the Stanky’s party is going on.” Mae said, “Any earlier and we won’t have any time to plan, and any later and everyone won’t be available.”

“So overlapping parties? That gives the boys an advantage, doesn’t it, since all the invitations are out already and all?”

“Do you forget that I’m this amazing party planner? Remember my summer job, Dawn?”

“You’re too young for a summer job.”